5812 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is system parameter BJOBLIM ?

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Did some further testing on 7.3

NJOB, BJOB are not used. BJOB is increased but jobs are not refused.

Only IJOB contains what show sys/int shows.

ana/sys can show you the values
ex sys$gl_njobcnt
(n,i,b)

RJOB is validated by I don't know how to examine it.

Wim
Wim
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Hi Wim,

I seem to remember that BJOBLIM was obsoleted many years ago (V3.x or V4.x).

I believe that is was put in originally with a view to being used to limit batch jobs, but was never implemented in the code, and was subsequently removed from documentation.
Chris_616

IJOBLIM

IJOBLIM sets the maximum number of interactive jobs that can be on the system concurrently. You can control the maximum number of concurrent interactive users on the system with the DCL command
SET LOGINS/INTERACTIVE.
IJOBLIM is a DYNAMIC parameter.

RJOBLIM

RJOBLIM defines the maximum number of remote terminals allowed in the system at any one time.

RJOBLIM is a DYNAMIC parameter.

NJOBLIM

NJOBLIM establishes the limit for network jobs. The maximum number of jobs is 1024. The minimum is 0, and the default is

NJOBLIM is a DYNAMIC parameter.

Based on the above definitions, BJOMLIM would be the maximum number batch jobs allowed on a system at any time. It is a dynamic parameter and the maximum value is 1024.
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

1. ! For VMS 7.3 variants, "HELP SYS_PARA" will list the system parameters for your system.
SYSGEN> HELP SYS_PARA
Sys_Parameters Subtopic?
! then enter unique sys_parameter letters from the list to get a short description of its function.

Yes, BJOBLIM isn't documented on VMS 6.1 or for 7.3 variants. You can still do SHOW BJOBLIM and even do a SET BJOBLIM.
2. SYSGEN parameter descriptions can also be found in OpenVMS SYSTEM Management Utilities Reference Manuals for your VMS version in the System Parameters appendix.
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

Using Google, I found some pertinent text that should settle this question in the V8.2 EFT Release Notes.

That document makes it clear that as of V8.2 both BJOBLIM and NJOBLIM are obsolete. (I believe the V8.1 release notes also documented them as obsolete.)

Below is an excerpt of the pertinent text. You can see the entire document at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82eft/6674/ovms_82_rel_notes.PDF

---Excerpt begins below---

> 4.25.3 Obsolete System Parameters
V8.2
> The following system parameters have been removed in OpenVMS Version 8.2:
> BJOBLIM
> BOOT_STYLE
> EXUSRSTK
> LAMAPREGS
> NISCS_LAN_OVRHD
> NJOBLIM
> QBUS_MULT_INTR
> SA_APP
> SBIERRENABLE
> SCSCONNECT
> SD_ALLOCLASS
> TAILORED
> UDABURSTRATE
> VECTOR_MARGIN
> VECTOR_PROC
> XFMAXRATE
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I think HP has a documentation problem. Features are deimplemented without changing the doc.

Wim
Wim
Aleksander Sinigoj
Occasional Advisor

BJOBLIM > Batch Job Limit
The max. number of batch thah can execute concurently. I never tested but i think is absolete.
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

I really wish that NJOBLIM would work. When you run the OSU Web server all requests to the web server that need to run a script (CGI) use a DECnet server process. If there is a system problem and the webserve can't respond as quickly as requests come in, these network processes build up.

If NJOBLIM worked you could put an upper limit on this, to prevent system memory and the page file from being used up. As it is we have to use MAXPROCESSCNT instead - but if that limit is reached batch jobs can't run and you can't login to try to fix the problem.
I have one, but it's personal.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Jess,

What VMS version are you running?

I am not sure about latest version, and as stated above it will be removed in 8.2, but I have a very definity memory of NJOBLIM working only too well.
When we had intermitted problems with network connectivity, we finally found out that NJOBLIM was the limiting factor, and increasing it (don't even know how far, at home now, cannot check) removed the problem.
As far as I recall the timeframe, that MUST have been V7.1 or V7.2. I DON'T recall reading any release notes about it being obsoleted.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Jan,

Until VMS 7.3 : NJOBLIM isn't doing anything.

Wim
Wim