Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to run Data Server of Availability manager v3.0 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Boogaard_1
Frequent Advisor

Where to run Data Server of Availability manager v3.0 ?

Hi all,

We think of using Availability manager v3.0 because of the WAN functionality.
Using Avail.mgr V3 means that we need at least 1 data server for each extended-LAN.

What would be better/wiser/nicer, running the data server on a dedicated windows box or on a dedicated VMS box? or even in the cluster itself?

Running 1 windows box per LAN would mean a single-point-of-failure?
8 REPLIES 8
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Where to run Data Server of Availability manager v3.0 ?

Running it on the cluster you are monitoring is definitely a bad idea. If the cluster locks up then the data server will too, which somewhat defeats the point of having the low-level collector backdoor into the system.

I would probably go for dedicated windows boxes for monitoring. It depends what level of support/how far away the remote sites are how available they need to be.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Run it on two small systems - vms or windows depending on what you have available. Getting the budget for system monitoring systems is always a problem :-(

You could run it on the cluster and on a separate box.

Thanx Richard and Ian

Running a data server on the cluster to be monitored wouldnt work.

1 other question.
Suppose there is a cluster across several locations, e.g. 2 locations.

Then, to be disaster tolerant, a windows box or small vms box with a data server is needed on each location.

Suppose there are several clusters, spread over 2 or more locations. Then each cluster could be the Data server on VMS for the other clusters. or would you still need separate boxes then?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I think one monitoring system running the data server per site would work.

Perhaps it should be two per site for resilience. Could be a small windows box, a small vms system (which could be running other things), or a small linux box (possible but unsupported)
Solution

Jan,

we have several clusters spread over 2 locations. These have a common GigE bacbone and I have configured data servers at each location for redundancy.

If you were to use cluster A to monitor cluster B, then you need to consider the problem where failure of the inter-site link, or of one location, might well cause all of the clusters at the other site to hang for lack of quorum.

I would therefore recommend use of a standalone box as the data server. Monitoring a combination of 23 node, 12 node, and 6 node clusters on a 617MHz DS10 uses remarkably few resources.

Duncan