New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which is first- upgrade FW or install new OS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Liu Tina
Occasional Advisor

Which is first- upgrade FW or install new OS

Hi,
There is an important VMS customer in China. The use VMS V8.3I running at RX6600. Now they intend to install new OS VMS V8.3-1H1 and upgrade RX6600 SFW FW from V4.11 to V4.15. They asked which should be first, install new OS or upgrade the FW.

I suggested them upgrade the FW first.

But they think VMS V8.3-1H1 was released early than V4.15 firnware. They think should be install new OS first then upgrade FW.

I think HP service should be suggest them upgrade the FW first.

What is your suggestion?

Thanks for your help!
Tina
6 REPLIES 6
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Tina,

generally speaking, I would update firmware first.
Since as you state the FW came after the OS upgrade, it _IS_ doable to reverse the order, but at the very least that requires an extra reboot. And _generally_ the firmware WAS update to cure _SOME_ issue. I think it much wiser to prevent that (potential) issue by updting FW first.

(well, unless the release notes for the FW specifically note that it NEEDS some feature of the OS, but such cases are extremely rare, and in that case you would not even be asking here)

Success.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Tina,

Generally speaking, operating system releases have no problem with later versions of firmware. However, there have been situations where an operating system release required a minimum firmware version.

My inclination, unless there is a specific negative advisory outstanding, is to upgrade the firmware first.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor
Solution

Tina,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 5 of 35 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.
If you have closed some of those streams, you must "Reopen" them to "Submit points". (After which you can "Close" again)

Do not forget to explicitly activate "Submit points", or your effort gets lost again!!

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. - nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before - please do not take offence - none is intended!

PPS. - Zero points for this.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

As an HP employee, you should be able to find internal resources to answer this question.

If you are unaware of how to find this help inside the company, please contact me and I'll help you out.

-- Rob
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

The release notes for the v4.15 fw :

http://tinyurl.com/2fsemvt

say supported OpenVMS operating system versions are :

OpenVMS V8.3
OpenVMS V8.3-1H1
OpenVMS V8.4

So you should be ok to install that fw first.

Note: there is one other mention there regarding OpenVMS:

COMPATIBILITY/INTEROPERABILITY:

1.WARNING: After this firmware upgrade,Users of all other Operating Systems other than Windows Server 2003(HPUX/Linux/VMS/Windows Server 2008) should set the MPS optimization switch ON at the EFI shell to improve the IO performance.This setting defaults to OFF, because of an incompatibility with Windows Server 2003.
shell> ioconfig mps_optimize on

Cheers,
Art
Liu Tina
Occasional Advisor

Dear All,
Thanks for your all explaination!
CU have accept to upgrade FW first.
Appreciate your all help again!
Tina