108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why uise multinet ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Viswasam
Advisor

Our healthcare application from Cerner Corp runs on Multinet TCPIP for VMS. Or atleast was available only on Multinet when we installed our systems. To migrate to HP TCPIP is a big pain. So, for now we are using it. We might move to HP TCPIP in future.
James
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

Multinet did, I think, do DECnet over TCP/IP without needing to do tunnels or upgrade to DECnet Plus. It was also cheaper than UCX/HP TCP/IP Services.

Those that say that UCX is "free" are wrong. It's not free. It merely happens that the latest incarnation of what was NAS happens to be included in the price of your hardware. Sell the hardware to someone else, the license doesn't get transferred. The software license is merely included in the price for your convenience.

A niggly but important differentiation!
comarow
Trusted Contributor

Frankly, at one time Multinet was more robust. Now tcpip is fully featured and part of the OS. And, it avoids any fingerpointing.

Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Steve: You're right Multinet does DECNET Phase IV over TCPIP which HP TCPIP doesn't. We started using that feature last week. We lost backup link network bridging of DECNET and LAT between 2 sites. In October, we will be losing primary bridging of DECNET, LAT and MOP between 2 sites. So we plan to expand our use of Multinet.
Lawrence
Robert Jacobs
Advisor

I have used all this IP Stacks and even The Wollongong Groups

How's that for going back a few years!

R.J.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

>>>
Multinet does DECNET Phase IV over TCPIP
<<<

It should be noted, however, that you need a DECnet Routing license (DVNETRTG), instead of your ordinary DVNETEND to use that feature.

(To be taken with a grain of salt - I'm not in the office right now).

cu,
Martin
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Martin, you're correct. The same holds for TCPware, need to have a Decnet routing license on one node in each area you want to build tunnels between.

Art