108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows Domain Upgrade NT4 to WIN2K - PATHWORKS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Dale_2
Occasional Advisor

Windows Domain Upgrade NT4 to WIN2K - PATHWORKS

I have an NT4 Domain with an NT4 PDC and a PATHWORKS Member Server. I need to upgrade the domain to WIN2K and AD. I want to do a clean install of the WIN2K DC and change the Domain Name, then join the PATHWORKS Server to the new Domain. Any Tips or links to relevant resources?
Many Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

what version of vms and pathworks?

VMS 7.3-2 and PATHWORKS 7.3.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Alan,

As far as I know its not possible to change your domain name on NT (and as far AS rules it is Lanmanager 4.x). Within AS it is possible.
Why don't you create a new W2K server directly in backward compatibility mode in the AS domain ?

Why do you need to upgrade to W2K ? Can you do the trick by adding W2K servers into the domain without changing the domain-servers ? Lateron you can always get rid of the NT4 machines and leave OpenVMS ruling you'r windows Domain !

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Alan,

So, you're actually creating a new domain with a win2k controller rather than upgrading the NT4 server? You say the AS is currently a member server, so that means it doesn't keep any domain SAM data, just its own local accounts and shares. Therefore, those are the files you'll need to protect. Search this forum for other discussions about changing domains. Here's one:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=658637

Also, you might consider installing the latest AdvancedServer ECO (7.3A ECO4).

Doug