Operating System - OpenVMS
1748016 Members
4353 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows unable to start VMS daemon services throuth the allocated port.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Windows unable to start VMS daemon services throuth the allocated port.

Hi,

Env: Two node Cluster, Alpha/OpenVMS V7.1, UCX V4.2, and Windows 2003.

Appln: Security application has been installed in a common disk in a two node VMS cluster. The daemon servies which triggers the security application LISTENing at port 5601. Win2003 GUI designed to send the request to any one of VMS node through 5601. The daemon which starts the security application on the request from win2003 and sends the data back to Win2003.

One of our customer purposly shutdown one of VMS node and wants to run the security applcation on only one VMS node. This is what they said their requirement.

No problem communicating Win2003 from VMS. The problem is that windows unable to contact VMS through port 5601.

win2003> TELNET vms_host_name 5601 -- works fine. telnet with FQDN, IP and host name works fine, seems no problem with name resolution and no firewalls issue either on both win2003 and VMS sides. Customer said the UCX confign is also fine.

The problem is when Win2003 GUI sends the request to VMS through port, it immediately (within 10 seconds) breaks with time out error. We increased the time_out value to 2000 seconds in windows GUI program. But still the same timeout error comming.
$ UCX show service, $ UCX show device/full/port=5601 shows the port 5601 is open and the daemon process is Listening on the port.
Why the windows GUI break quickly?, any other application using the port 5601 while windows sends the request? or any cluster config related problem?
Any of your responses/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Archunan

Regards
Archie
7 REPLIES 7
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Archunan,

could you trace the TCPIP traffic from your Windows system to your OpenVMS system:

$ tcptrace /port=local=5601 ip-addr-of-windows-sys

This would at least tell, if the connect msg arrives at your OpenVMS system.

Does the OpenVMS daemon process (listening on port 5601) have a log file ? Any error messages in that file ? Can you enable any debug output in that application on OpenVMS ?

Volker.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor
Solution

Given the fact that TELNET seems to work, it can be assumed the service IS started: there should be a logfile on the VMS box.
Have you tried to send anything over the line (it doesn't matter what, as long as at least some response is returned)? It might be that the request is sent and received (that's what the logfile would show), a response is actually created but cannot be sent since the originator of the request is "Out of reach" - I really saw that happening....

If the proces beyond port 5106 is started using a commandprocedure (what I would expect, in this case), what you could try to see if this is eally working: create a commandprocedure to be executed as the service, or add the following sniplet of code to be executed:

$ OPEN/READ/WRITE NET SYS$NET:
$L:
$ READ/END=LEND NET LINE
$ write sys$output "REC>''LINE'<"
$ WRITE NET
$ GOTO L:
$LEND:
$ EXIT

Have this code be executed. Now start a telnet session to this port and see what is actually received and sent (you may have to start your telnet session a bit different:
$ TELNET
TELNET> SET MODE LINE
TELNET> CONNECT 5106
....)

If that does indeed respond as expected, try your program.

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Volker,
The customer site is located in Dublin, I have already asked them to send the logfiles which will be created one from Windows side and another one on VMS when the application starts up by the comnd procedure.

As per your suggestion I will ask them today to execute tcptrace.

William,
I will ask the customer to execute your piece of codes. I don't how the customer going to do this procedure (keep sys$net open for some time constantly) since their Window application and VMS applications are running in the different cities. NO problem, I can ask them to do so.

My other doubt is that Does the windows request reach LISTENER service enabled on VMS on port 5601 or not?, Would there be any cluster related (one node has been shutdown) issue involved in this problem?

Anyway thanks for both of your timings responding to my queries.
Expecting further suggestions to troubleshoot this issue, please stay with me. I will update the status.

Thanks
Archunan
Regards
Archie
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Archunan,

My other doubt is that Does the windows request reach LISTENER service enabled on VMS on port 5601 or not?, Would there be any cluster related (one node has been shutdown) issue involved in this problem?

TCPTRACE will help to answer the first question. HOW does the windows system address the OpenVMS service ? IP node name ? IP address ? Does it try both nodes one after the other ? In which order ? Is the first node to be tried shut down or the 2nd one ?

Did it work when both nodes where up ? Which node does the Windows application connect to in that case ?

Volker.
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Volker,

I could not able to get touch with the customer. But TELNET with IP, FQDN, and host name (telnet 10.10.10.10 5601) all are working fine.
The VMS application installed in a common disk, the application designed to run on only one node at any time, not both. I don't know whether they were able to run by keeping two node alive. But now they try the first node by shutdown the second node.

The error "failed to start VMS application within the specified time(2000 seconds)" comes immediately, within 10 seconds!!!. My doubt is here only, looks like windows request not at all reaching VMS, because it breaks with the error within 10 seconds.

Also I can not send the debug version of code to the customer now. Probably latter, I will think of that option.

THanks and stay with me
archunan

Regards
Archie
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

All,

Sorry for the late updation. I tried all the possible way. I am unable to find the reason why windows gets failed to connect VMS using the mentioned port.

I will close this thread.

Thanks for Volker, William and others who tried help on this thread.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

All,

Sorry for the late updation. I tried all the possible way. I am unable to find the reason why windows gets failed to connect VMS using the mentioned port.

I will close this thread.

Thanks for Volker, William and others who tried help on this thread.

Archunan
Regards
Archie