108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X-Windows Ghosting | Radeon 7500

SOLVED
Go to solution
Music
Advisor

X-Windows Ghosting | Radeon 7500

I'm presently trying to get an older application to run correctly under OpenVMS 7.3-2 (with all recent updates and DWMotif ECO).

The application in question uses a "rubber band" box that you can drag around like a "zoom window" with the contents amplified in another portion of the window above. When doing this from a VMS workstation (DS20E with Radeon 7500 card) the "rubber band" box leaves ghost trails everywhere that it is "dragged". Worse, the ghost lines do not clear when you stop dragging.

I can run the same application from any other X-server I've tried (e.g., Exceed, Excursion and xwin-32 on WinXP and xfree86 on Linux) connected to the very same VMS machine and everything works fine (i.e., no ghosting). One notable difference when using the software is that the DecWindows X-server will continually try to redraw the zoomed region while dragging the mouse. The others do not... they wait until you pause the mouse before redrawing the other window. This made me suspect the event input mask settings. I've looked at the settings using xdpyinfo using the different x-servers and noticed that the server input masks are indeed different. Is there any way to change the mask or could this even be a cause?

Any ideas or thoughts are much appreciated. I'm seriously considering just putting together some thin Linux x-terminals to get around the issue--as silly as that sounds.

Thank you,
Bobby
7 REPLIES 7
Stephen Hoffman_1
Solution

Best to ping the folks at the customer support center directly for this -- I will assume you have the GRAPHICS V2 ECO kit installed. (If not, please do.) None of the fixes listed in the GRAPHICS ECO look immediately like this, but one never knows. Assuming the ECO does not resolve this, if you can provide the source code or a reproducer of some sort, that would certainly assist the engineer that will be looking at this.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

(Steve Hoffman does get everywhere :-)

I'm told that this is probably a known and parhaps not yet fixed bug so you need to report it to encourage them to produce a fix.

Thank you for the replies. According to the documentation for VMS732_UPDATE V3.0 it includes the VMS732_GRAPHICS-V0200 ECO. The UPDATE 3.0 patch is installed so I'm assuming that the GRAPHICS-V0200 is too.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to contact the folks at the "hp customer support center". I've looked across the HP web site but have found very little related to VMS support options. I'm sure there's a simple way... but I have yet to find it. Any referemces in this regard would be appreciated. I'd really like to provide input directly to a VMS engineer who works on this particular part of the OS to help resolve the bug.

Thanks again,
Bobby
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Robert,

A new patch kit has just been released...

VMS732_GRAPHICS-V0300

Regards
Dave
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

... and the the kit should be (or coming soon) available at
http://www.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/mainPage.do

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

For logging calls online the current tool is SCM
http://www.itrc.hp.com/service/mcm/homepageRequest.do

Otherwise I guess there is a phone number but I don't know it for your location.

Well I had my hopes up... but, alas, to no avail. The latest patch didn't fix the problem. Thanks again for the responses!

Bobby