HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XDM/CDE session problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fausto Saporito
Occasional Advisor

XDM/CDE session problem

Hello,

I'm trying to configure XDM under OpenVMS 8.2 and Xming.
I'm able to view the login screen but when I try to logon with system I can see the backgroup of CDE session, but I am disconnected after 1-2 seconds.

Is Xming compatible with OpenVMS XDM?

Thanks in advance,
Fausto
5 REPLIES
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: XDM/CDE session problem

Is Xming compatible? Yes. It's as compatible as most anything else with two completely different X Window stacks and product installations. There are folks that are using Xming with OpenVMS and DECwindows, too.

Check the DECwindows server log and related and see if there's anything interesting there.

Also double-check the TCP/IP Services (or whatever stack you're using) documentation on setting up XDM, and check the XDM logs for anything interesting.

Also ensure that there is (for the purposes of testing) a line $ EXIT at the top of your login procedures; in both SYLOGIN.COM and LOGIN.COM. There are certain DCL constructs that can be there that can completely derail certain login sequences. It might work fine interactively, but not so well in other contexts.

I'd bet there are settings mismatches of some sort.

Fausto Saporito
Occasional Advisor

Hello Hoff,

thanks for the reply. The strange thing is that if I try with other X-server (X-Deep32 or WinaXe, for example) all is fine.

So it seems a Xming problem... indeed in the Xming log file I can see

winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.

when I have the login screen, but after a while... I have:

AUDIT: Wed Jan 14 18:57:40 2009: 3504 Xming: client 6 rejected from IP 192.168.2.200

and 192.168.2.200 is my alpha.

But this happens only with Xming.

Regards,
Fausto
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Turn off access control in the Xming launch control or add the host to the configuration? (These are two of the more common suggestions from Teh Googles, based on some quick digging -- no Microsoft Windows here.)

I'd suggest poking around over in Xming-land, and figuring out why this is happening; this looks more like the local Xming configuring punting the connection than something specific to OpenVMS and DECwindows. That, or Xming is (by default) expecting something OpenVMS isn't providing.
Fausto Saporito
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

thanks for your hint, it was very useful.
I found on internet the right option to the Xming server "-ac" (to turn off authentication).

And now it works!

Regards,
Fausto
Fausto Saporito
Occasional Advisor

See my previous post for comments.