1748194 Members
4632 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XWindows problem-Motif 1.5 - OpenVMS 8.2

XWindows problem-Motif 1.5 - OpenVMS 8.2

Hello,
I m Maurizio Carnesecchi.
We are porting one XWindow HMI application from one AXP400 OpenVMS7.2 and Motif 1.2 to a DS20 OpenVMS 8.2 and Motif 1.5.
In the old system everything is working rigth. When we try to run the application in the new system we got this error:
X Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denie)
Major opcode of failed request: 89 (X_StoreColors)
Serial number of failed request: 481
Current serial number in output stream: 491
%XLIB-E-ERROREVENT, error event received from server
This message is shown many times everytime are called the following X-functions:
- Xstorecolors
- Xstorenamedcolor
- Xloadqueryfont

We already installed the following patches:
DEC-AXPVMS-DWMOTIF_ECO01-V0105--4.PCSI-DCX_AXPEXE
VMS82A_GRAPHICS-V0100.PCSI-DCX_AXPEXE

as suggested in some posts.
But nothing changed.

We try to run the HP XWindows examples in the directory DECW$EXAMPLES:PICT.EXE directly from the graphic consolle of DS20 server. But we got the following error:
..This program require writable colormap and 8-bit deep display....

How to set properly the display??

Can somebody help us to solve the porting problem?

Thanks in advance

Maurizio

8 REPLIES 8
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Re: XWindows problem-Motif 1.5 - OpenVMS 8.2

Maurizio,

You can modify the characteristics of the X Server in the file

SYS$STARTUP:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM

If it doesn't exist, create it as a copy of SYS$STARTUP:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.TEMPLATE

Just one example, you can force the display to 8 bits by including the line:

$ DEFINE/SYSTEM/EXEC DECW$SERVER_PIXEL_DEPTH 8

Similarly the resolution, refresh rate and other characteristics can be adjusted. Note carefully that some are controlled with /SYSTEM/EXEC logical names, while others are global symbols.

I'm not certain about writeable colormap. Have a read through the comments in the template file to see what you can adjust. Perhaps compare with the values in the same file on your old system?

After modifications, you need to restart the server:

$ @SYS$STARTUP:DECW$STARTUP RESTART

Beware this will terminate all current X sessions.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Edwin Gersbach_2
Valued Contributor

Maurizio

I'm shure that your problem is due to a different graphics card rather than due to newer versions. The card in the AXP400 might be a pseudo-color one while the newer DS20 has a true-color card. This causes a different default visual type to be used.

As John said, this can be solved by explicitly specifying the default to be used (in DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP) or you can request a particular visual when opening the display. You may use DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO to see the available visuals and the default one.

Edwin

Thank's Jhon and Edwin.

I would like to focalize that the problem happen when in the application we call the functions:
XStoreColors and XStoreNamedColor.

The display where we show the output is a PC with Xcursion installed.
In the Xcursion log window we got the following errors:20/07/2005 11.34.14 X Protocol Error Reply sent to Client #7, Request=StoreColors, Error=BadAccess
20/07/2005 11.34.46 X Protocol Error Reply sent to Client #7, Request=StoreNamedColor, Error=BadAccess
While, in the window from where we run the application we got the following error:

Major opcode of failed request: 89 (X_StoreColors)
Serial number of failed request: 72
Current serial number in output stream: 106
Major opcode of failed request: 90 (X_StoreNamedColor)
Serial number of failed request: 73
Current serial number in output stream: 106

It looks like the application doesn't have the rigths to store the color info because cannot modify the colors resourse.

I looked for some settings in the Xcursion control panel but i didnt found anything related with the previous error.

The application doesn't crash, but the results is that the colors shown are not the expected ones and the speed is very slow (for the big amount of log info).

I found out in the VMS documentation that some visual type doesn't allow to modify the color properties (as Truecolors visual) while pseudocolors should allow the operation.

I cannot undestand why in the old system i dont have this problem, alos if i define the output display as the in the new system. (I think in that case is not depending on the different video card installed in the AXP server because i ues a remote Xserver by Xcursion)

Thanks again

maurizio
Edwin Gersbach_2
Valued Contributor

Maurizio

Are you really saying that the problem occures when the display is set to the very same PC as from the old system and that it works from the old one but not from the new one?

If so, did you stop the application from the old system before starting the new one? Remember, a 8-plane visual has some 200+ reservable colormap entries (some of the 256 entries are used by MW-Windoze and some by the motif window manager). If the first application reserves some 150 colors, there are not enough left for the second one unless you stop the first application.

Also, check the DISPLAY tab in the excursion control panel and play with the color settings there.

Edwin

Edwin,
yes i m sure 100 % that the old system is running in the same display (same PC with same Xcursion with same settings) where the system cannot work properly.

I also stop the application in the old system before run the new one.

I tryed already all possible combination os settings in the Xcursion control panel but without any result.

I get the error everytime is called the function Xstorecolors or Xstorenamedcolor. The second one works color by color and it is called 32 times for each color defined in the application. But we get an error also for the first name color we set. It look like it is really impossible modify that resource as it was a truecolor or staticcolor device and not a pseudocolor.

Thank's Maurizio

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Maurizio,

If the display is a PC running eXcursion, then DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP is irrelevant, as is the display card on your local system.

You need to try running the same application against a different X Server. Perhaps the local system (assuming you have a graphics card on the DS20), do you have anything other than eXcursion on any other system?

I would also try running on the old system, displaying to the new, and running on the new system, displaying to the old.

We need to work out if this is a problem with the client program, the server (display) system, or any of the intermediate layers.

I'd also recommend at this point that you log a case with your local customer support centre.
A crucible of informative mistakes

John,

I'm agree with you, i think the problem is not the graphic card or the DECW configuration file.

I tryed to run the application on the new system with the display in the old system (using graphic console) and viceversa and i got a strange result:

run on old and display on new :
--> i got errors

run on old and display on old :
--> NO errors

run on new and display on old :
--> i got errors

run on new and display on new :
--> i got errors

It looks like the old system is able to undestand that the display changed, but this doesn't happen in the new system.

maurizio
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Maurizio,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 6 of 25 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption < My Question(s) > you will find < questions or topics with unassigned points > Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. Nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before, then please do not take offence, certainly none is intended!

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.