1752805 Members
5828 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Xyplex MaxServer MX-1620 Terminal Server boot issues

Bruce Fehringer
Occasional Advisor

Xyplex MaxServer MX-1620 Terminal Server boot issues

I have two Xyplex MaxServer MX1620-114 terminal servers. When I try to boot them from a flash card they go through the process of counting up and down the first 8 port number lights. Then the LAN light stays on solid. The run light and console light flash alternating back and forth, one then the other. The Run light flashes green and the Console light flashes amber. The units appear to boot properly. I think the flashing console means that the unit wants to write to the card but is unable to do so. I've tried connecting to every port and autobauding with a PC and known good cable. No response. I tried accessing the Configuration menu with the paper clip trick and no response when autobauding every port again. I tried using software versions 5.2 and 6.1. I would appreciate any help or ideas anyone can pass on to me. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
cnb
Honored Contributor

Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

Also some documentation at:
http://www.gno.org/~gdr/xyplex/
I have one, but it's personal.
Bruce Fehringer
Occasional Advisor

I greatly appreciate the two links posted by readers. I reviewed the links and found some good information that will be helpful in general for managing my Xyplex terminal servers, but didn't find anything specifically related to the issue I'm having with this specific model. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Have these terminal servers ever worked or are putting something new together? Can you connect to a remote console from a VMS system?

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Xyplex gear is from MRV, and the MRV folks have a web site at:

http://www.xyplex.com/

The manual for this particular box looks to be at:

http://service.mrv.com/downloads/10038d.pdf

Have a look at that document for a description of the LAN, Console and Run indicators, and what they mean, and the diagnostics.
Bruce Fehringer
Occasional Advisor

Andy wrote "Have these terminal servers ever worked or are putting something new together? Can you connect to a remote console from a VMS system?"
These terminal servers worked in the past. However, sometime in past we used their flash cards in other 1620 terminal servers. I don't know which cards came from the terminal servers in question so I can't put the original cards back in. The boot sequence seems to be exactly the same as a terminal server that functions properly except when the boot sequence is complete the Console light flashes amber. Per the manual the console light "flashes if permanennt parameter changes have not yet been stored". I verified our flash cards are not in "write protect" mode. Each time I boot the terminal servers the console light flashes. I haven't made any parameter changes because I can't get a console prompt on any port. I suspect that because the flash cards have been swapped around the parameter file version in NVRAM doesn't match the parameter file version on the card so it wants to write the current version to the card. I don't know why it can't. I suspect that whatever is keeping it from writing is also keeping me from getting console access from any of the 20 ports. One Terminal Server was labeled with an IP address. We don't use VMS so I tried telneting to it from a PC like we usually do without success. I couldn't ping the IP address either. -Bruce
Bruce Fehringer
Occasional Advisor

I apologize to Jess Goodman and Hoff. I had assigned 4 points each to their answers because their links provided some additional info, but didn't solve the problem. After clicking "Submit Points" I noticed that the points shown weren't the points I entered. I'm not sure what happened. Sorry.... -Bruce
Hoff
Honored Contributor

This is an MRV Xyplex widget that's tossing an error with its flash storage and that is being accessed from and with Microsoft Windows boxes?

If the manual I pointed to is insufficient around reformatting the card or otherwise troubleshooting the error, then I'm not sure what OpenVMS folks and HP folks might help with here.

Your question here does not appear to have any association with OpenVMS, and you are not using OpenVMS (" We don't use VMS"), nor is this this HP- or Compaq- or DEC-branded hardware, and you're clearly not getting any more specific responses here in ITRC.

In aggregate, HP ITRC looks to be a dry hole for answers on Windows and MRV Xyplex gear. Clearly the folks here are ill-suited for the question (and I include myself in that); you'd likely be far better served by asking MRV more directly; the vendor.
cnb
Honored Contributor

In addition, if MRV isn't much help, you might want to search the web, and call some of the 3rd Party Vendors that service these. They might be able to just tell you over the phone which card will work for your particular server.

HTH