1753772 Members
5094 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

average I/O size ?

Charlie Powell

average I/O size ?

We are currently running OpenVMS v7.3-1 using HSZ80 disk controllers.

We can obtain much I/O info from the Monitor utility, but how does one determine the average disk I/O size?

Thanks,
Charlie
5 REPLIES 5
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: average I/O size ?

there has been tools which intercepted disk I/O and recorded information such as size of request. See for example EPM on Freeeware V5. I'm not aware of a standard tool.

There really should be an MB/sec indicator somewhere in the standard tools no... but best I know there isn't. I would likely be maintained in the UCB (along with UCB$L_OPCNT), but I don't see it there. [ANAL/SYS... SHOW DEV DKxxx... READ IODEF ... FORMAT ]

Some performance tools (PSM, CA, PAWZ,... ?) will report this somehow.

Anyway, In 25 years of VMS performance work I have had very little use for it. The bottleneck has always been IO/sec, not MB/sec because the average IO size has always been low 4KB.

I believe theat the average IO size is drifting upwards 10KB? with RMS sequential
file buffers growing, RMS index file buckets being chosen larger, backups,... and I believe MB/sec can and will become an bottleneck.

It looks like the new and expanded SHOW MEMORY/CACHE/FULL also puts the focus on IO/sec. Hmmm... I'll ask the engineer over lunch for details.

You may be stuck using Hardware Monitor tools like VTDPY on the HSZ to get the KB/io numbers.

Cheers,
Hein.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Actually, while the base VMS does not keep track of IO sizes, the XFC does a great job in this space.

Check out
HELP SHOW MEM /CACHE
SHOW MEM/CACHE/FULL
SHOW MEM/CACHE/VOL=xxx

You'll even find nice histograms!

Hein
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Try
ANALYZE /SYSTEM
(invokes the System Dump Analyzer SDA)
then see command SHOW.
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Howard Taylor

There is a utility in the HSZ80 called DSTAT which will give you (among other things) the average I/O transfer size. Simply type RUN DSTAT at the HSZ80> prompt during a busy period. I have attached Ken Bates' manual.

There is a Windows analysis program (I think also written by Ken Bates) which can take the output of a long run of DSTAT and give you some meaningful stats. If your support staff won't send it to you, I can, but it's too big to post here.