108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: backup command issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kumar.R

Hello Bence,

Welcome to the OpenVMS discussion forums.

The first two errors doesn't look relavant to the the last two ones.It looks like dka0: is the system disk and went to mount verification for a while.Or you getting the dka0 errors still?

Comng to the last two errors, it looks like your tape drive could not read from the tape on MKA400.

* This needs a cleaning of the tape drive. with a cleaning disk.

* The tape drive is bad.Needs a replacement
of the tape drive.

Hope this solve your problems.

Thanks and regards,
Kumar
Bence Richter
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Kumar.

Actually you are right. It is a fact that I can take backups after the general cleaning of the box + re-plugging the SCSI cables, but DKA0 (CD-ROM) is mounting for too long sometimes. So probably that's another issue.
Maybe my CD-ROM is dying... That's the only thing I can imagine, as I re-checked the cables.

Cheers,
Bence
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I've not seen a dirty tape drive or dirty media or unclean tape drive heads cause disk mount verification errors. The degree of disruption here tends to involve a fairly substantial disruption to what appears to be the system disk, and typically beyond filthy tape heads.

A bad disk or bad tape drive or a spotty SCSI connection or a bad cable or bad termination or such, yes. That can cause bus disruptions.

DKA0: is a fairly unusual unit setting for a SCSI CD-ROM and a fairly common setting for a disk drive. Ensure you don't have duplicate units on the bus, whether with one of the SCSI devices present or with the host SCSI controller (which is usually at unit 6 or 7) in this configuration.

It's easily feasible that the CD-ROM drive or the CD media is tossing errors, and (if that's the device at DKA0:) then that could explain most or all of what you're seeing here.

And gear of this vintage (old SCSI CD-ROM widgets, old SCSI disks, old Mylex DAC 960 controllers, old SCSI cables, etc) can and do fail.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Bence,

You may find that your backups and restores are faster if you use a larger blocking factor on your backups. By default backup uses 8192 byte blocks for tape drives, and that is tiny.

See help bakcup/block for more info.

I would suggest replacing

5. $$$ backup/image/record/verify dkb0: mka500:sybck6

with

5. $$$ backup/image/record/verify dkb0: mka500:sybck6/block=65024 !(or at least 32256)

The %SYSTEM-I-MOUNTVER, DKA0: messages may just be a result of the SCSI buss being really busy with the tape backup. Do they occur when backup isn't active? I.e. if you do

$$$ analyze/disk/read DKA0:

do you get MOUNTVER errors? If not, then it is probably just backup hogging the adapter with a deep queue of pending operations.

If you have the 8.3 distribution CD, that has an updated version of BACKUP that may give you better results. I am assuming you are using the 8.2 distribution.

Jon
it depends