6823 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

backup problem

Domen Setar
Advisor

backup problem

Hi admins!

I have OpenVMS V7.3-1 on Alpha Server. I found out that backup of directory tree (for example: backup dsk1:[directory...]*.*; ...) in some cases doesn't backup only last versions of files, but all of them. That was a patch issue in OpenVMS V7.3. But I can't find what causes this problem on V7.3-1.
Does anyone have the same expirience with this version of OpenVMS?

Best regards
Domen
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: backup problem

Do yo have the latest BACKUP patch V3.0 installed? I was not able to reproduce the problem on a V7.3-1 system.

regards Kalle
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Domen,

To start with:

Welcome to the VMS forum!

Although we currently are at 7.3-2, we have been running 7.3-1 for about 1.5 years.

For operational reasons, we quite regularly do and did such backups, to make full copies of existing directories, but ONLY the highest versions.
At least if the output spec was another directory tree, and with /OWN=ORIG specified, I _NEVER_ experienced your problem.
We did however move from 7.2-1 to 7.3-1 when a whole bunch of patches were already exitant, and we applied those during the upgrade.
Are you current on patches (or potentially, are you so recent that a bug was introduced when we already had gone 7.3-2?

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Domen Setar
Advisor

Thank you for the answers!

I don't have patches on the server. I'll make some tests with BACKUP patch. The problem is that I found description of this problem in V7.3 patches, but there was non in V7.3-1 patches. So I tought, that maybe problem is somewhere else.

Best regards

Domen