108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: booting open VMS from Third party SAN storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
ovaisrehman
Occasional Contributor

booting open VMS from Third party SAN storage

Is it possible to boot HP Integrity rx2660 running Open VMS FOE from the third party SAN storage ? The customer has EMC Clarion CX300 as their centralized storage and they are exploring the option of booting their Itanium from SAN storage.
3 REPLIES 3
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Last I checked, this is NOT supported by OpenVMS engineering. You can use 3rd party SAN as data storage, but not as a boot device. You need to ask the vendor how, and if they're prepared to provide support.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

See if you can get a letter of support from EMC for supporting VMS. Also contact your local HP support to find out if they will support it and what you need to do for that support. I do know that level support is also based on which country the equipment is located.

We have multiple storage SANs, EMCs and HP XP frames. The ones we have connecting to the EMC do NOT boot from the EMC storage but from local disks and then we mount the EMC devices. That is mainly from the way we have the storage presented. We do use HP XP1024s that we do boot VMS from at other facilities. That is fully supported by HP.
ovaisrehman
Occasional Contributor

the information which i have got was good enough