New Discussion

Re: booting shadowed system disk ...

SOLVED
Go to solution
wildfiremaint
Occasional Contributor

booting shadowed system disk ...

Hi Guys,

My current problem ( Alpha cluster - two nodes - quorum disk -  VMS V7.2-2 -  Charon emulated DS20's

- shadowed system disk )  is that the cluster boots and comes up OK with 1 CPU but if I add a second CPU

then either node will hang just after " using remote access to quorum disk ".    

If I turn off shadow_sys_disk  then the nodes boot  OK with 2 CPU's. 

So how is the number of CPU's related to volume shadowing the system disk ?

I have checked  the licensing and all seems OK - ie:  75 units of OPENVMS-ALPHA for two CPU's

for each node using INCLUDE.

Thanks,

John W.

-----------

5 REPLIES 5
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Shadowing licensing can be per disk or per CPU.  Current volume shadowing document doesn't mention this but the older versions do.

Did you check your shadowing license?

Brad McCusker

Software Concepts International

www.sciinc.com

Brad McCusker
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Usual first recommendation: patch to current.  You're on a fossil version, so the drivers have known errors.

Usual second recommendation: dispense with HPSC and call HP support, or your preferred support provider. 

In no particular order...

The quorum disk cannot be shadowed with HBVS, though controller-level RAID is permissible.

In practice, the LMF checks are not involved in any problems with the bootstrap-stage operations of HBVS on VMS.

I'd perform a basic verification of the configuration, including the device and host allocation class settings, the clustering and shadowing-related system parameters, the usual SHOW LICENSE /CHARGE to determine the requirements, and related.  Follow the HBVS manual through, and confirm the configuration.

Additionally, please confirm the support of shared storage devices and HBVS with any emulation or any virtualization vendor involved.  (The HP-VM/HP-IVM configuration doesn't support this, for instance, and the underlying operating systems (often Windows, and HP-UX in the case of HP-VM/HP-IVM) lacks shared-write storage-access semantics.)

HP? Please upgrade to the ITRC forum software, or something far more technologically advanced.  Like a box of crayons. This stuff is /Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied./ still broken.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Please upgrade to the ITRC forum software,

(You mean EBC forum, ITRC is dead and buried.  Or did you mean go back to it?)

Also, I doubt anyone will see your complaints here, better to post them here:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/bd-p/community-feedback-suggestions

wildfiremaint
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Thanks to all who responded - problem solved - bug in Charon-Specific device driver.

JohnW

----------

Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

John -

I would be interested in the specifics of the Charon problem that was causing your boot problem.  Feel free to drop me a line at my last name at sciinc.com.

Thanks

Brad McCusker

www.sciinc.com

Brad McCusker