5565 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: broken shadowset on system disk

sharon conger
Occasional Advisor

broken shadowset on system disk

Hi,
Last week I was configuring a new alpha cluster for a customer, ran into some problems that caused the machine to reboot just after I'd done the mount/shadow command for the boot disk. Now any time I reboot the machine, it only has the one disk in it's system shadow set. How can I get the other disk added to the set? The same mount/shadow command complains that the DSAx disk is already mounted.
6 REPLIES 6
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Can you post the exact error message, and the command you use to put it back in the shadow ?

Do you get a message when you
$ mount /ov=id broken_disk

Your Vms version ?
sharon conger
Occasional Advisor

Ugh, sorry, it's VMS 7.2-1. When it boots, the boot disk is dsa4 and it already has dkb0 in the set. I need to add dkb100 also. Here's what I'm trying to do:

$ mount dsa4:/shad=($1$dkb0:,$1$dkb100:) nccasys
%MOUNT-F-INCOMPAT, qualifiers incompatible with already mounted volume

When I try it with just the missing disk in the parens, it gives the same error, so I understand it's complaining that DSA4 is already mounted. I can't dismount it because the system is running on it. How can I tell it I want to add a disk to the shadowset?
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

Do you have a locally-defined MOUNT symbol?

-- Rob
sharon conger
Occasional Advisor

If you mean like MOUNT is redefined to something else, nope. Did a show symbol mount just to be sure.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

Try including the /SYSTEM qualifier, as the system disk is implicitly mounted /SYSTEM.

-- Rob
sharon conger
Occasional Advisor

Ahh, thank you, that was it. Dunno why I didn't remember that!