1753925 Members
9264 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c_asm.h in DEC C

Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

c_asm.h in DEC C

We are using a very old machine (AXP1.5) and the corresponding C compiler version seems to have problems in extracting modules from starlet. I have listed the TLB files and do not find any module for c_asm.h. Could someone let me know how to get this file?

Thanks,
Malleka
9 REPLIES 9
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Malleka,
Welcom to vms forum!

c_asm.h is declaration for some inline assembler instruction. On cc v5.2 this module contains some prototypes. I attach this one, I hope can help you.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Oops,
I forgot I found this module in RTLDEF directory no in STARLET.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Antonio. Could you also let me know the key to this module in the tlb from where you extracted this? The code that I am using makes use of the module names from system directory so I would like to get the correct module name.

Thanks,
Malleka
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Malleka,

The module is called C_ASM and it is sitting in SYS$LIBRARY:DECC$RTLDEF.TLB
At least on my system (rx2600, VMS 8.2, HP C V7.1-011)
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

It's the same on vms V6.2.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Antonio. We have access to only an Alpha running AXP1.5 and a VAX running 5.5-H2.
I see many modules missing in the TLBs, probably they exist in different modules so it is hard to locate. That is the reason I posted this query. Could you also please get me the efndef.h for me?

Thanks,
Malleka
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Malleka,

I see many modules missing in the TLBs, probably they exist in different modules so it is hard to locate. That is the reason I posted this query. Could you also please get me the efndef.h for me?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
VMS AXP 1.5 is an ancient release of VMS for the Alpha. Wouldn't it be better to upgrade to a more recent (and therefor supported) release like 7.3-2 (or even 8.2)?
FWIW, the EFNDEF module is found in the library SYS$LIBRARY:SYS$STARLET_C.TLB

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)

Btw, I'm including efndef.h_i82 (extracted on our rx2600, and the same on one of our Alpha's running VMS 7.3-1).
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Malleka Ramachandran
Frequent Advisor

Thanks so much.
We are trying to port OpenSSL code to this machine. Yes, I know the AXP 1.5 is ancient but my client is not willing to upgrade. That is why I have access to these two machines here, running AXP1.5 and VAX 5.5-2H1.
Malleka
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Malleka,

We are trying to port OpenSSL code to this machine.

Good luck to you. We have ported some U**x stuff to VMS, using more recent versions of VMS and of the compilers, and it can be a pain in the a**. Me thinks that with these older versions it must be even harder.
I would try to convince your customer to upgrade nonetheless, since the newer versions of VMS and of the C compiler have a better understanding of U**x oddities.

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)