1753802 Members
7489 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: can I dismout a disk with driver file open on it

Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

can I dismout a disk with driver file open on it

I am about to turn off an old SW500 Raid cabinet. After I copied all areas off of the last remaining volume in it and redefined all the logicals that point to it, I checked the volume with $SHOW DEVICE/FILES.

Unfortunately on my old Alpha 6.2 systems I saw:
00000000 [DSKE.TGV034_AXP.SYSCOMMON.MULTINET]LAVDRIVER.EXE;1

We are not using Multinet on any of our Alphas, but in some startup file a long time ago someone had added SYSMAN IO commands to load that driver and connect the psuedo load-average device LAV0: to it, apparently for use with a version of FINGER that no one here uses anymore anyway. Yes, I know it was a bad idea to use a driver .EXE file off of the system disk.

I do not want to reboot ten systems to clear this. Is there anyway to get that file closed so the volume can be cleanly dismounted? A SYSMAN IO RELOAD command returns "unsupported operation or function".

(And before anyone suggests using DISMOUNT /OVERRIDE=CHECK, that will *not* dismount the disk, it will just "mark it" for a dismount that will not complete until the last file on the volume is closed.)
I have one, but it's personal.
2 REPLIES 2
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

The only supported way is a reboot. Any other way is kernel mode hackery with the added risc of crashing the system.

Jur.
Kevin Raven (UK)
Frequent Advisor

I know I will be shot down in flames for this ....
But why not just turn off and remove the redundant , to be retired disk array.
The disk will go into mount verify and then mount verify timeout after a while ..but so what ? Then when you have time in the future to reboot (Without the call to the driver being loaded from this disk), all will be o.k.

Yes your $show dev d will look ugly until the next reboot.
Of course you will have removed these disks from event monitoring (If you have any) already.