108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: can I do that ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

can I do that ?

Can I do 3 images backup all 3 hd to 1 dh, look to me it erase the first 2 and only keep the last image backup

$ backup/noinit/image/log/ign=(inter,lab) dka200: dka100
$ backup/noinit/image/log/ign=(inter,lab) dka300: dka100
$ backup/noinit/image/log/ign=(inter,lab) dka400: dka100

The reason I try to do this image backup is I want to copy all data include the sub. dir to dka100:
only image backup will create the sub dir for me. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks !
SCC
6 REPLIES 6
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Are you trying to simply backup the three drives to dka100 or are you trying to merge the data on the three drives to dka100?

Image is not the only way to create sub directories using backup, but you need to tell us what you're trying to do.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

SCC,

BACKUP/IMAGE will always overwrite the contents of the destination device. /NOINIT only tells BACKUP to not re-initialize the destination disk with the parameters of the source disk.

If you want to copy all directories from your 3 different disks to your target disk DKA100:, use the following:

$ INIT DKA100: label
$ MOUNT DKA100: label
$ BACKUP DKA200:[*...] DKA100:[*...]
$ BACKUP DKA300:[*...] DKA100:[*...]
$ BACKUP DKA400:[*...] DKA100:[*...]

Watch out, if you have directories with the same name on DKA200/300/400. You could then use separate directories on DKA100: as well, e.g.

$ BACKUP DKA200:[*...] DKA100:[DKA200...]

Volker.

PS: In the future, please try to use a meaningful title for your threads, thanks.
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

I am try to copy all files from 3 drives to one as backup. Not merge, copy them over is not hard, but I want them to create the sub. dir examples :

dka200:[data]123456.txt I am looking to backup to dka100:[data]123456.txt. But on dka100: the data.dir was not create.

Thanks !
Scc
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

SCC,

one addition to Volker's comand.

Add /OWN=ORIGINAL
otherwise ALL files will be owned be the account executing the backup.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

I am trying to backup again, without using /image, look like it running o.k.
Tnanks !
Scc
Dale A. Marcy
Trusted Contributor

If you have Access Control Lists on the top level directories for each disk and you want to retain them on the new disk, then you will need to back them up separately as shown:

$ backup/log dka200:[000000]*.dir/exclude=000000.dir dka100:[000000]*.*/by_owner=orig

If you do not do this, backup will create the new directories, but they will not have the ACL list and will receive default protections.