New Discussion юеВ

Re: can I just install vol 7

SOLVED
Go to solution
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

can I just install vol 7

Hello,
I have a image backup total 6 tk50 tapes. Since my harddrive have problem. I can get back with a $ sign using the standalone backup tape only. Now can I just install the tape 6 only, or I have to install everything. And if I have to, is my old file/data will be done or it just write another new one.
Thanks!
SCC
5 REPLIES 5
comarow
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The way to restore a disk is to go to the
last image backup, than restore all the incremental backups in reverse order.

But you must first lay down the image restore.

That is assuming you have been doing
image backups and incremental backups.

Bob
Edwin Gersbach_2
Valued Contributor

After booting standalone backup you could try to backup the disk, as it is now, to a different set of tapes. You then restore the image backup as said above.
When your system is ready again, you could restore later version of your datafiles from the second backup set using the /SELECT= qualifier.
You may want to do the restore to a different directory and check the consistency of the data before using them.

Edwin
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

SCC,

if these 6 TK50 tapes are from a single BACKUP/IMAGE system-disk: MUA0:sysbck.bck/SAVE/REW/IGN=LABEL operation, you MUST restore ALL of them in the correct order to get a usable and bootable disk. The command to be used would be similar to:

$ BACKUP/IMAGE MUA0:savesetname/SAVE/REW DUA0:

(assuming DUA0: is your system disk and MUA0: your tape drive). BACKUP will tell you, when to insert the next tape.

This will completely overwrite your existing disk, so it would be a good idea, to first do another BACKUP/IMAGE from your system disk to another set of TK50 tapes.

Volker.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

SCC,

You may want to restore only tape 6, but why ?
Are you sure this will recover you're problem ?
If you want to restore you can start with every tape you want and go up after this (you can't go downward). But this only make sence if you know what you are doing.
Is you're broken drive the system disk or one of the data disks ?

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
comarow
Trusted Contributor

It certainly would help if we knew what you were trying to accomplish. Restoring a disk I've described. Maybe you have another purpose?