New Discussion юеВ

Re: cant get Availability manager 3.0 on Windows XP installed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Boogaard_1
Frequent Advisor

cant get Availability manager 3.0 on Windows XP installed

Hi all,
When I install Availability manager 3.0 on Windows XP, it doesnt seem to work. The installation looks good , gives no errors...
My desktop has Windows XP sp 3, 2GB mem, I did reboot after installing, amndis50 is the right date 28 nov 2006 as in the release notes...

There is no shortcut from "start" , "Programs"... after the installation+reboot. Launching Am by clicking some java files doesnt help

Anyone else bumped into thsi before me ?
10 REPLIES 10
EdgarZamora
Trusted Contributor

I'm on a Windows Xp sp2 2GB pc. I'm not having any problems with Availability Manager 3.0-2. I see it as Start... All Programs... HP Availability Manager V3.0-2... Data Analyzer Startup.

Maybe it was a corrupted download?
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

I've installed V3 on several PCs. If you're not getting the start menu entries, that suggests a problem with the installation kit. Did you install it from a privileged account?

Are you trying to run server or analyzer?

One problem I did run into is the incredibly stupid way that this application installs its own JRE. It's not subject to any of the (frequent!) Java updates. Who knows what security or performance issues might be present even though you're completely up to date with OS and Java patches.

This was manifest on my systems, both OpenVMS and PC in that the JRE has its own timezone data base. Since our timezone has changed since the kit was released, the private DST data base was wrong and AM showed the wrong time. Off to the web to find one of the zillion different and poorly identified "TZUPDATER" programs to try and find one that works for the specific combination of Java and OS versions. Yikes! Haven't these people ever heard of upwards compatibility?

The long term consequences of a proliferation of hidden and effectively frozen JREs is rather scary!

HP didn't seem terribly interested. I'm not sure they actually understood why I was concerned.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Jan van den Boogaard_1
Frequent Advisor

Ok. I drove home and downloaded it from the internet to my home pc and installed it ok. So it's either corrupted kit or a privilege issue. The start menu now has a "Data Analyzer Startup" and a "Data Server Startup" menu choice.

John, thanks for bringing up the issue of the separate java installation -- Hp does this also with AM and Webes on VMS : all have their own java directory tree and so on.....
Jan van den Boogaard_1
Frequent Advisor

Back to work, we could install it on an other pc. So the cause is somewhere on my desktop.
From the other pc we could, however, not connect through port 9819 to the data server thats on the VMS cluster.
On the VMS cluster A.M. 3.0 with X windows works ok.

Anyone an idea why connecting via port 9819 doesnt work ? there's no firewall in between.
Jan van den Boogaard_1
Frequent Advisor

By exchanging keys, as is described in the A.M. User manual, and after setting up a "data server" on a VMS system outside the cluster (running AVAIL/SERVER command), we could also revolve quorum hangs on a 2 node test cluster by doing "adjust quorum fix".

We still wonder: is AVAIL/SERVER the only way to start the Data server? For automatic reboot, is submitting a batch job with this command the way to go?
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jan,
Try this:

RUN_AVAIL_SERVER.COM
$! Process Quotas required:
$!
$! PGFLQUO = 1,200,000
$! BYTLM = 2,000,000
$! WSEXTENT = 16,384
$!
$ IF F$MODE().EQS."BATCH"
$ THEN
$ ON WARNING THEN EXIT
$ SET PROCESS/NAME="Avail Server"
$ AVAIL/SERVER/PORT=9819
$ ELSE
$ SUBMITX/NOLOG/NOPRINT/USER=SYSTEM 'F$PARSE(";",F$ENVIRONMENT("PROCEDURE"))'
$ ENDIF

Execute from startup.

Alternatively, if you'd rather run it as a detached process, try:

$ self=F$PARSE(";",F$ENVIRONMENT("PROCEDURE"))
$ IF F$MODE().EQS."OTHER"
$ THEN
$ ON WARNING THEN EXIT
$ SET PROCESS/NAME="Avail Server"
$ AVAIL/SERVER/PORT=9819
$ ELSE IF F$EDIT(F$GETJPI("","USERNAME"),"COLLAPSE").EQS."SYSTEM"
$ THEN
$ RUN/DETACHED SYS$SYSTEM:LOGINOUT -
/INPUT='self'/OUTPUT='F$PARSE(".OUT",self)'/ERROR='F$PARSE(".ERR",self)'
$ ELSE
$ SUBMITX/NOLOG/NOPRINT/USER=SYSTEM 'F$PARSE(";",F$ENVIRONMENT("PROCEDURE"))'
$ ENDIF
$ ENDIF

This will make sure the process is started as SYSTEM
A crucible of informative mistakes
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Jan, I installed Availability Manager 3.0-2 on Windows XP SP3 without any problems.
If there is no shortcut from "start" "Programs" then it didn't install correctly.
Lawrence
Jan van den Boogaard_1
Frequent Advisor

hello Lawrence,
We could install it , as you could read from a few replies back. The cause of this is something on my own pc at work, I do not bother not to know exactly.

However there is some more news. I tried the LAN failover capability described in the install guide (making a LLxx device).
HP released a patch VMS732_LAN-V0700 this week with the following text:

After applying the UPDATE V16 and LAN V6 ECO kit and rebooting OpenVMS Alpha systems, LAN Failover devices were not available. The UPDATE V16 and LAN V6 ECO kit introduced a change in the LAN permanent device database.
This has caused incompatibilities with the existing LAN device database files created by previous LANCP versions.
The issue has been fixed in LANACP when converting the old LAN device database entries to the new format.

Interesting huh?
So the LAN failover with Availability manager was not working for a while on 7.3-2
Jan van den Boogaard_1
Frequent Advisor

Thread closed. Avail.man. is working