1752675 Members
5714 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: carrier check error notification in VAX4000/505 withVMS6.2

pri
Occasional Contributor

carrier check error notification in VAX4000/505 withVMS6.2

anyone can help me. I am lookijg after vax4000/505 with VMS 6.2 os. Two vax are in dual host system with client position running on ultrix through DEcnet. One of the server started giving continuous error message "CARRIER CHECK ERROR". It is continuously rolling the same message and unable to give any command from keyboard.
Please advice what to do. Is it a LAT problem?
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Sounds to me like an Ethernet problem.
(Hardware, not LAT specifically.)
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

If they are both connected to the same network device, switch network cables. If the problem switches too, it's the network cable. If it stays on the same node, it's the network card. If it's solved, it could be a connector badly fitted (had it once).

Wim
Wim
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Please be careful when transcribing messages around. The usual error here is "carrier check failure", and not "carrier check error". I'm going to assume this was a transcription error.

The failure to detect the carrier signal means the network has no carrier or an intermittent signal. The carrier is a signal that indicates that the network is electrically connected and powered up; it is a core mechanism within the CSMA/CD protocol underneath Ethernet.

Which in aggregate means your network wiring is bad, your transceiver has failed, part of your network (switch, router) is powered down or has failed, or your NIC has failed.

This failure is unrelated to LAT, and unrelated to DECnet.

Google, too, is your friend here, as a search for the error text -- if this really was "carrier check failure" -- would point you right at the correct answer.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

pri
Occasional Contributor

Thank u all of U for your kind advice and suggestion. After through check i find out a connector problem and sorted out the problem, Thank u.