108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

checksums on VMS732_F11X_V0400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

checksums on VMS732_F11X_V0400

Downloaded the vms732_f11x_v4 patch this morning and discovered the checksums listed in the patch notes were different than the ones I got after receiving the kit.

patch notes:

2774185298 <--- DCX checksum
803220437 <--- PCSI checksum

my results:

1951201268 <--- DCX checksum
484537077 <--- PCSI checksum

Usually don't have problems with this. Downloaded the patch twice and got the same results each time.

And if anyone here knows, where or to whom at HP would I send a report such as this.

Dave...
8 REPLIES 8
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: checksums on VMS732_F11X_V0400

try itrc_support at hp.com

On what version of VMS are you checking the checksum. There where changes in V8.2 which sometimes give different results (for certain file formats).

Ian,

Thanks for the email address and using v7.3-2

Dave...
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Dave,
Depending on how you calculate your checksums, the file attributes can affect the result, so FTP the file as the wrong type or merely copying the file through a PC or Unix system can break the checksum without necessarily breaking the file.

However, in this case, I get the same results as you, but the file looks OK. Correct attributes and PRODUCT LIST is plausible. I suspect the error is in the posted checksum, rather than the file.

Please report the discrepancy to itrc support. Note as well as sending email direct, you can click the "├В┬╗ contact hp" link in the top left of every ITRC page. From there click "├В┬╗ ask a question about using the IT resource center". Select "Maintenance/Support (Compaq products)" and "Downloading: patches and software".
A crucible of informative mistakes
Sebastian Bazley
Regular Advisor

I get the same results as well.

The original VMS checksum utility is extremely crude - I came across two different backup savesets recently with identical checksums. [They were different versions of a patch - not HP].
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

"The original VMS checksum utility is extremely crude " - yes, that's why VMS V8.2 has a better one.

I have sent this report to the itrc_support email address mentioned and to "contact hp" located at the top left of ITRC pages.

Dave...
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Its been about 2 weeks since this checksum issue was reported to the email addresses posted in this thread. As of today, haven't heard anything back on the subject.

Has anyone else here received any new information on this issue?

Dave...
George_145
Valued Contributor
Solution

Dave,

"...to whom at HP would I send a report such as this."

That would be me. I checked the kit and you are right. The checksums in the docs are not correct. The correct ones are what you came up with. I will re-post the docs with the correct checksums and take a look at what caused the error. Kits can be built several times. Since the checksums are generated automatically by the build tools, I suspect that some manual intervention somewhere along the line caused old checksums to be put on a re-built file.

I hear that you reported this via Contact HP and have not gotten any response. Do you have a copy of the submission you can send me?

George Pagliarulo
george dot pagliarulo in HP domain