1753834 Members
8057 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: copying from VMS mail to Lotus Notes

Kevin Phelan

copying from VMS mail to Lotus Notes

Hi,

I'm trying to copy e-mails from my VMS account to Lotus Notes. Within my mail folder I've several folders which I want to copy. I know its possible to copy the .mai files across onto the windows Platform but what I really want to is copy all the e-mails into Lotus Notes in one block so that I retain all the header information etc.

I've tried some DCL but does'nt work.

Is this possible and if so any suggestionson how to do this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Kevin
4 REPLIES 4
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Have you tried
$ mail
extract/all

from the help

/ALL

Copies all of the currently selected messages to the specified
file. Each message is separated by a form feed.

For exemple
$ mail
extract/all vms.txt

Then mail the file vms.txt to your Lotus account

$ mail/subject="my Mail messages" vms.txt me@lotusaccount.com
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> I know its possible to copy the .mai files across onto the windows

Really? You can copy them, but you can not use them.

The main mail file is often called mail.mai
This is typically an INDEXED file which is of little or now use on a widoze box.
It contains the mail headers (from, to, subject, folder, dates...) and the message body for short messages (less than 1500 bytes).

The MAIL$.MAI files a simple text files containing the message body for longer message. They can be transferred and used on Windoze, but are typically useless without the header info.

The simple tool to get to OpenVMS Email message useable outside OpenVMS is indeed to use EXTRACT/ALL, like Labadie already mentioned. This will create a simple text file which can be transferred with for example FTP. Each message starts with: From: ... To: ...
Any tool (Perl!) can be used to parse out the messages.
Of course you can use this techniques also on OpenVMS to create a text file per message, but On OpenVMS I would just wirte a little program to call the MAIL$ routines to do this properly, or create DCL + VMSmail scripts.
Of course you could also create a (web) server to present the messages (using the MAIL$ calleable interface.

How to get them into Lotus would be your problem. Does it have a nice callable interface? An import file option?

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting
x2084
Trusted Contributor

If Lotus notes can read the mbox format, you may want to check out http://andrew.triumf.ca/email
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Move messages into Lotus Notes email? Have a C compiler on your VMS system? Does VMS have the MultiNet TCP stack installed? Both systems networked and SMTP capable?

If yes to all of these questions then take a look at MFU in message #15 at http://groups.google.com/group/vmsnet.networks.tcp-ip.multinet/browse_frm/thread/885a5bcc57412112/ . It will migrate the messages from one system to the other and preserve all the header info.