1748111 Members
3646 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dec server 700

dec server 700

I have LED segemnts reading digit 8 for days. Is there any manual for trouble shooting?
What can I do to resolve this error and get the server operational?
9 REPLIES 9
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Alfred,

'8' seems to indicate 'Initial Power On'

Here is a pointer to the Site Preparation and Maintenance manual:

http://www.xenya.si/sup/info/digital/MDS/jun99/Cd2/NETWORK/DSRVWMGB.PDF

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I would say that some part is not reacting to power on. So, self test is not even possible. Power cycle may help.

Wim
Wim

Volker,

Thanks very much for the info. I now have the manual so I will see what I can do to resolve the problem. Will keep you posted on developments.

Alfred
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

We had the same issue on a Decserver 500 and it turned out that one of the power supplies had failed. Definitely verify with the manual though. When we had this we ordered a power supply from a company and replaced it and about a week later the second power supply failed. One thing I learned about the Decserver 500 was that the two poser wupplies on each side of the Decserver only powers that half of the decserver. They are not truly redundant power supplies. So you could have a failure on a side that had no IO cards and still have functionality for the IO cards that were installed on the other side of the server with the good power supply.

Phil

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

One other thing. there is a green indicator light on the upper right hand corner of the power supply that should be on solid. With our problem it was not on at all on one of the power supplies and was flickering on and off on the other one.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.

Philip,

The system OK LED is solid GREEN and the network activity LED flashes( may be due to Alpha station signals.)

The 7 segment display is still steady 8. I am planning to get a PC connected to the console port to figure out what out the server is doing. I guess I can use a 10Base T ethernet cable for connection to the server. Can any body confirm the jack type as MJ8?

Alfred

The Dec server has not got a console port. I guess one of the serial ports can be configured as a serial port but with the server in the initial power up mode, how can I get a console to connect to the server to know what the server is waiting for. I will appreciate any help on this please.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Alfred,

by default, port 1 is the console port.

Volker.
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

You should be able to hook up a PC running a terminal emulator to the server serial port 1. I believe the default baud rate is 9600 (8 bit, no parity). You should see messages during the power-up sequence.

Allan in Atlanta