New Discussion юеВ

dec server 90 m remote port

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amit Sathe
Occasional Contributor

dec server 90 m remote port

I am not able to configure dec server 90 m
remote port .. actually 1 out of 6 port is remote I want to convert one of the local port to remote port
please help
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: dec server 90 m remote port

Amit,
I think you want to do:
DEFINE PORT n ACCESS LOCAL

but there might be other characteristics that should be changed. Can you post the output of "LIST PORT n CHARACTERISTICS" as a .TXT attachment, so one of us can check this?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Amit,
1. you have to connect into decserver (from network you have to type access word);
2. For some command you may need system privilege (to change access you need privilegiated level);
3. You can change in permanent mode (using command DEFINE) or in temporary mode (using command SET) or both (using command CHANGE); all command have same syntax.
4. For specific command you have to wait connection close or you can use DEFINE command and this goes active on next port logged in.
5. Syntax is:
SET PRIV

DEFINE PORT nn ACCESS REMOTE

Remember for remote port yon have to define some command at vms level (if you will use this port for LAT youe have to configure LAT$SYSTARTUP.COM).

Have a great day
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Terry Yeomans
Frequent Advisor

Amit,
are you ok about getting on to the server to make changes ?
To connect to a server type the following:
SET HOST /MOP /DISCON=D /CIRCUIT=CSMACD-0
/ADDRESS=mac_address_of_server
In this example, I assume you have MOP running, the circuit is what we use, so you may use something different, DISCON=D meand you can use CONTROL and D to disconnect from the server. THe mac_address is the address on the front (or sometimes back) of the server.
Once on, you will need to press .
This will bring up the ACCESS password prompt. This is usually SYSTEM. Next type anything as it nwill prompt for a user name.
Next type SET PRIV and . You will need the password otherwise you will not be able to change anything on the server at all.
After this, the best option is to type HELP and use this to guide you through. It is quite extensive.
Good luck, Terry.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Terry,
you can use NCP too:
NCP CONNECT VIA line PHYS mac-addr
where line is DecNet line (example EWA-0) and mac-addr the Medium Address of DecServer.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Well Terry,

Just a minor correction, but potentially blocking all your intent.

Once on, you will need to press .
This will bring up the ACCESS password prompt. This is usually SYSTEM. Next type anything as it nwill prompt for a user name.

The access password prompt is #
And the default access password is _NOT_ SYSTEM, but ACCESS. This CAN be changed, but I have never run into any that was changed (yet).

Next type SET PRIV and . You will need the password otherwise you will not be able to change anything on the server at all.

And for the SET PRIV the default password is SYSTEM, but it is not unusal that that IS changed.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Victor Mendham
Regular Advisor

For security concerns, make sure you change the default access password and the default priv password.

You can also set a DecServer wide port password, so that anyone attempting to access the port remotely will get a # prompt at which point they simply enter the port password, then they will get access to the device the port is pointing to like lets say another VAX. This is one password for all ports, not a different password per port.

Note: Make sure you use the define command to ensure that upon Decserver boot, you previous config is not lost.

Here is an old 90M manual I have.

Vic..
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Amit,

If you still cannot configure the 90m you must reset the TerminalServer. If I recall correctly, there is a very small button on the bag. Push this button, when no powercord is connected. Connect the powercord and release button after several seconds. To do this add also a monitor on port 1 to see what actualy is happening. You must see the initial messages. After the server is booted (this can take a (long) while) you can enter on port 1 and have connection. Configure the ports and LAT (and whith the right firmware TCP/IP) and after the next boot the terminalserver can be connected as described earlyer. Make sure, if there is only 1 Mb internal memory, there is only the possibility to use A/B/C IP networks masks. So when using 10.x.x.x adres there is only a possability to use mask 255.0.0.0 . Actualy this is depending on the firmware, and this is depending on the internal memory etc.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !