108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: defining Netserver$Timeout for single non-privileged User

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

defining Netserver$Timeout for single non-privileged User

According to Sys$System:Netserver.com if Netserver$Timeout is defined by Define/JOB/EXEC that it will override the default timeout for NETSERVER connections. How should the logical be defined for an individual nonprivileged account during login?
Version of O.S. is OpenVMS 7.2-2 with Alpha platform; Decnet Phase IV.
11 REPLIES 11
ShyGuy
Advisor

This following is a quote from the documentation, I hope that is alright. The following points to the documentation on the net <>

/ShyGuy

"On the OpenVMS operating system, all DECnet Phase V applications run as processes. Unless a currently running process has declared itself to be a numbered network application or a named network application (with number 0), the network ancillary control program (NET$ACP) must invoke a process to receive the connect request.

When the logical link request comes in, a standard procedure called NET$SERVER.COM runs, which in turn causes NET$SERVER.EXE to be executed. This program works in concert with NET$ACP to invoke the proper program for the requested application. Then, when the logical link is disconnected, the application program (such as file access listener (FAL)) terminates, but the process is not deleted. Instead, control returns to the NET$SERVER.EXE program, which asks NET$ACP for another incoming logical link request to process. This cycle continues until NET$SERVER is deleted after a specified time limit. The default is 5 minutes. To use a different default time limit, define the system logical name NETSERVER$TIMEOUT in SYS$MANAGER:NET$LOGICALS.COM, using an equivalence string in the standard OpenVMS delta time format:

dddd hh:mm:ss.cc

For example, to set the time limit to 30 minutes, use the following command:

$ define/system netserver$timeout "0 0:30:0"

The effect of NET$SERVER is to reuse network server processes for more than one logical link request, eliminating the overhead of process creation for an often-used node. The network ancillary control program (NET$ACP) reuses a NET$SERVER process only if the access control on the connect request matches that used to start the process originally.

When NET$ACP creates a process to receive the connect request, the process runs like a batch job. The sequence is as follows:

The process is logged in according to information found in the user authorization file (UAF). The key to this file is the user name, which is part of the access control information. For information about access control information, see Section 7.3.
DECnet-Plus automatically creates a log file in SYS$LOGIN:NET$SERVER.LOG. Unlike the log file for a batch job, this log file is neither printed nor deleted. The log file is helpful for debugging your own network tasks. If NET$SERVER.LOG cannot be created for any reason, the network job continues running but does not produce any log file.
The login command procedure indicated in the UAF for the process is executed.
The process runs a command file to start the image that implements the DECnet Phase V application. The rules for locating this command file differ depending on whether the application has the number 0.
Because NET$SERVER.LOG files are not required for network server processes, you can explicitly inhibit all log files in your default nonprivileged DECnet-Plus account by setting the default directory for the account to a nonexistent directory. The effect of this action is to suppress all log files, while allowing network jobs to run."

Isn't every computer a Digital computer?
Gary Sachs
Advisor

Looking at the Phase IV documetation, it appears that the NETSERVER$TIMEOUT is to be defined as a system level logical name. Therefore, all or nothing.

(Of course one can try and define the logical at the group level or in a user's login.com)
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the effort. I was aware of the system logical override but after looking at the command procedure, NETSERVER.COM, there appeared there might be help at the individual level . However I could not define the logical in the JOB table in the EXEC mode without CMEXEC. I have considered trying to dynamically link a pre-defined job table in to the JOB table list but where there is a PROCESS Table Directory structure, I could not find reference to a similar setup for the JOB level logicals.
Gary Sachs
Advisor

The JOB tables reside in LNM$SYSTEM_DIRECTORY.
Gary Sachs
Advisor

I'm sorry, I forgot the non-priveleged part...

you could write a small application (language of your choice) and using the SYS$CRELNM system service define the NETSERVER$TIMEOUT logical in the processes JOB table in the EXECUTIVE mode. To accomplich this for non-priv'd users the application would need to be installed with CMEXEC. The process would possess the CMEXEC priv only for the execution of the application. Upon exiting the application, it would still be a non-priv'd user.
Gary Sachs
Advisor

Sorry for this string of replies!

This small application could be executed in the SYLOGIN.COM or the user's LOGIN.COM.

There are a myriad of ways to indicate which user gets which timeout or just defaults to the standard 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

I thought sylogin.com and login.com were executed at the user's privilege level which has only tmpmbx and netmbx.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

No need for a normal user to have privileges raies permanently: since the image is installed with higher privilege, normal users can execute this image - and only during it's execution they have the required privileges. After the image exits (for whatever reason - even if it crashes) the privileges are revoked and they return to "NORMAL" again.
Nothing special though; most of VMS runs that way ;-)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Whoops, missed the reply before the one that I responded to that had the info about installing an image. Maybe that was the intentional route the designer of netserver.com for non-prived users. Thanks.