1748041 Members
5378 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: did anybody know how to upgrade openvms alpha 7.2.1 to 7.3.2

zhanghaibin

did anybody know how to upgrade openvms alpha 7.2.1 to 7.3.2

hi guys,
our server need to perform a upgrade from 7.2.1 to 7.3.2, did i need to get the os image cd of 7.3.2 if so how can i get that image cd???
6 REPLIES 6
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

VMS Media is orderable from HP. Current VMS version of OpenVMS Alpha is V8.3. Previous release was V8.2 and V7.3-2 was before that. You may be able to order earlier versions of media from HP or your local HP reseller.

does it means unless i get the os cd of vms 7.3.2, otherwise i can't upgrade our system to 7.3.2? thx.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

yes, you need the CD. You may also need updated versions of other layered products depending on what you run.

does these cds free or cost money if i have system sn?
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

You must not only buy the CD, but check, if you have the correct license to upgrade. Either you have a license contract or you have to buy an upgrade license.

regards Kalle
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

Once you have the CD you can perform the basic upgrade. You will also need to apply current updates (ECO kits) to the Operating System and layered products (such as TCPIP Services). You can obtain the ECO kits from the ITRC patch kit area.

However, you need to check carefully that all the applications you're running will work and you may also need to ensure that they are certified for use with OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2. You should also check that any additional hardware is supported by OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2. You may need to apply ECO kits from the other software vendors.

If you are uncertain about the system and you're not comfortable with the level of knowledge available within your organisation then perhaps you should consider seeking professional assistance. It depends on what the system is being used for and how important it is that the upgrade be carried out with minimal downtime and disruption.

Cheers, Colin.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).