7595 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

disconnect Decnet Links

Bjay
Advisor

disconnect Decnet Links

Hi Everyone

We have a configuration where one node makes decnet links to other node to upload some data, what happens after sometime the links on the server node gets accumulated and no more links could be made to server

ANALYSIS
=========
on server
$mc ncp sho link XXX chara
State = closed
PID = 000020D8
Remote node = 1.8 (NodeB)
Delay time = 4
Remote link = 8577
Remote user = TAPESYS
Username = TAPESYS
Process name = TAPMGRRQ

then I tried disconnecting this link also but no luck.....

do anyone knows about some method to kill this link forcefully ...
8 REPLIES 8
Oswald Knoppers_1
Valued Contributor

Re: disconnect Decnet Links

It looks like the process with ID 20d8 refuses to close its channel to the NET: device.

You could stop this process

Oswald
Bjay
Advisor

PID 000068A7 does not exists in system
%SYSTEM-W-NONEXPR, nonexistent process
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

"PID 000068A7 does not exists in system "

Where did that PID come from? It's not in your original post.

Are you sure that a process with PID 000020D8 does not exist on node "NodeB". Since that node is not in a cluster you must be logged in to "NodeB" to do the STOP/ID=000020D8 command.
I have one, but it's personal.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Please post the OpenVMS version and the platform here.

There's an old-time link state bug that can arise here if this is a V6.x multiprocessor, and if this is that bug, that bug was fixed via ECO. If you're not current on OpenVMS and DECnet (and TAPESYS?) ECO kits, do get there.

Otherwise, consider contacting whomever is maintaining the (TAPESYS?) code here. It looks like the package is busted. The link is not being closed correctly.

That PID looks to be an internal PID, or bogus. (Most recent PIDs I've seen have bits set in the upper word in recent releases.) See if you have a TAPESYS process around that matches the external PID in the low word or so. If this is V7.1 or later, /pipe show system /full | sear sys$pipe tapesys/ should get you close, or ANALYZE /SYSTEM and then SHOW PROCESS /INDEX=000020D8

Bjay
Advisor

VMS version OpenVMS V7.2-1

Oswald
there are many links around 28 and I tried to $ stop /id= to the different then that I posted in my query

Thanks for replying ...
Oswald Knoppers_1
Valued Contributor

Blay,

"there are many links around 28 and I tried to $ stop /id= to the different then that I posted in my query"

I am not sure what you mean by this. Did you manage to stop the offending process? And did the DECnet link disappear?

Oswald
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Call in help. You have busted software here, and it appears you're not in a position to troubleshoot this and to then work with HP or (more likely) with the TAPESYS? vendor.

On little evidence, I'd tend to assume this is a bug that's been resolved in a more recent OpenVMS version or in a DECnet upgrade or (most likely) in an upgrade of or ECO for the TAPESYS? package involved here. This case is involving an ancient OpenVMS Alpha version, and that implies the rest of the configuration is equally old and crufty. And buggy.

The processes that need to be restarted are probably the tape manager client and tape manager server; one or more of the core TAPESYS? pieces. Or reboot.
Neelmani Pandey
Frequent Advisor

I am also facing the similar concern but in my case process exiest ,but that process is asociated to other links also which i don't want to delete.

Could you please let me know the ECO kit.

VMS Version "OVMS 7.2-1" with "Decnet Phase IV" is being used in my scenrio.