1752307 Members
5365 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

edt / keypad mapping

John Tannahill
Frequent Advisor

edt / keypad mapping

I am having problems with edt using DECterm. The keypad is not mapped for the edt functions at all. How can I fix this? Note lse has similar problems.

Thanks,
John
8 REPLIES 8
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: edt / keypad mapping

"The keypad" of what? In front of what are
you sitting, and what is it running?
John Tannahill
Frequent Advisor

I am sitting in front of a new Dell Optiplex 745 running Windows XP. It has a standard keyboard with the normal numeric keypad on the right. I fire up X-Win 32 v7.1 and it lets me pick one of our AlphaServers. Then an HP DECwindows Motif for HP OpenVMS Alpha, version 1.3-1, session manager appears. From there, I launch a couple of DECterm windows. Most things work fine, but the keypad is not mapped correctly when I fire up edt or lse.

John
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a key mapping problem/shortage in
X-Win 32. I normally sit at a VMS system, so
I haven't needed to worry much about key
mapping in recent times. There are programs
in DECW$UTILS which might be helpful, notably
XEV and XMODMAP. After:
@ DECW$UTILS:DECW$DEFINE_UTILS.COM

xmodmap -h

for example.

You'll probably want to "SPAWN /NOWAIT XEV",
unless you want to dedicate a terminal window
to it. Around here, the keypad gives keysyms
like:

KP_F1 KP_F2 KP_F3 KP_F4

KP_7 KP_8 KP_9 KP_Subtract

KP_4 KP_5 KP_6 KP_Separator

KP_1 KP_2 KP_3

KP_0 KP_Decimal KP_Enter

If you get other things, then xmodmap may be
able to re-jigger them.

If you're in less of a DIY mood, you might
concenrate your research on key mapping with
your X server software, and see what you can
find.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

You are working with Microsoft Windows XP and the PATHWORKS 32 eXcursion package?

If so, there's a keyboard mapping control tab buried in the control panel for eXcursion.

Here's a copy of the manual...

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/721FINAL/excursion/XCURSION.PDF

There' a chapter on keyboard mapping in there.

Interestingly, with the typical configuration here, the X Windows Server, the display, the keyboard mapping and other such are all operating on the Windows XP box here. OpenVMS applications including DECterm are X Windows clients.

You'll want to try a couple of different selections there, depending on what sort of keyboard you're using and what sort of layout you want. Whether this is an LK-series, or a PC layout keyboard.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
John Tannahill
Frequent Advisor

Stephen,

I am using X-Win 32 is from a company called StarNet Communications.

John
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Which version of this X-Win32, and one of the various different standards for PC keyboards?

There are various FAQs over at StarNet, discussing configuration and set up issues. Though it looks like very few folks use the package with OpenVMS.

Do any other X-Win32 boxes work?

Ring up StarNet, and ask them for some help?

The "punt" approach: load the PATHWORKS 32 client, and go that way? Or get a Mac or Linux (or HP-UX or OpenVMS, for that matter) box? Or use Cygwin and xfree on Windows?

To proceed along with X-Win32 here and trying to work this from another end of the supply chain, there's xterm decxterm and xmodmap stuff over on the Freeware. There are details in the submissions around getting X Windows mapping working. (But I'd look at the package itself first.)
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Also check which release of Xwin32 from Starnet that you are using. We tested one of the recent releases and the DEC keyboard mapping was dropped from their list of keyboard maps. The recent version was v8.0. I think we are using v7.1 or earlier but I could not find it specified with the xwin-32 config utility. I contacted Starnet about it and the suppose was supposed to be added back in v8.3
John Tannahill
Frequent Advisor

Using a different (but ugly) terminal emulator, E-Term32.