SOLVED
Go to solution
robert70
Valued Contributor

errors on image restore

help!

I am seeing crc errors on an image restore - see below

system is a integrity rx2800i running vms 8.4

when I ran the image/backup command - no problems where highlighted?

commands used for backup at dvd boot option were

$$$ init $2$MGA0: image

$$$ mount dka2:/over=id

$$$ backup/image/rewind dka2: $2$mga0:image.bck/label=image

errors coming back show here...................................

$$$ dism/nounload $2$mga0:
$$$ dism/nounload dka2:
$$$ mount/for dka2:
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, I64_V84 mounted on _DKA2:
$$$ backup/image/rewind $2$mga0:image.bck dka2:
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, IMAGE mounted on _$2$MGA0: ()
%BACKUP-E-BLOCKLOST, block of $2$MGA0:[]IMAGE.BCK; lost due to unrecoverable err
or
-BACKUP-E-HDRCRC, software header CRC error
%BACKUP-E-BLOCKLOST, block of $2$MGA0:[]IMAGE.BCK; lost due to unrecoverable err
or
or
%BACKUP-E-FIDERROR, unexpected file change in DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.DECW$INCLUDE]REGI
ONI.H;1
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.DECW$INCLUDE]REGIONI.H;1 has missing bloc
ks 11 through 13
%BACKUP-W-INCFILATR, incomplete file attribute data for DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.DECW$IN
CLUDE]REPTYPEI.H;1
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.DECW$INCLUDE]REPTYPEI.H;1 has missing blo
cks 1 through 1
or
or
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.JAVA$142.BIN]JAVA$JARSIGNER_G_DEBUG.EXE;1
 has missing blocks 40 through 54
%BACKUP-E-INVSTRUCT, invalid structure level in save set
or
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.JAVA$142.BIN]JAVA$KINIT_G_DEBUG.EXE;1 has
 missing blocks 80 through 94
or
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.JAVA$142.BIN]JAVA$SERIALVER_G.EXE;1 has m
issing blocks 176 through 190
or
or
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.JAVA$142.BIN]POLICYTOOL.;1 has missing bl
ocks 274 through 288
or
or
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.JAVA$142.DEMO.JFC.SWINGSET2]SWINGSET2.JAR
;1 has missing blocks 1487 through 1501
or
or
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.JAVA$142.gnv]HP-I64VMS-GNV-V0201-003-1.PC
SI$COMPRESSED;1 has missing blocks 762 through 776
or
or
%BACKUP-E-VBNMISSING, DKA2:[VMS$COMMON.JAVA$142.gnv]HP-I64VMS-GNV-V0201-003-1.PC
SI$COMPRESSED;1 has missing blocks 14127 through 14141
or
or
SI$COMPRESSED;1 has missing blocks 27492 through 27506
or
or
SI$COMPRESSED;1 has missing blocks 40857 through 40871
or
or
SI$COMPRESSED;1 has missing blocks 54222 through 54236
or
or
SI$COMPRESSED;1 has missing blocks 67587 through 67601
%BACKUP-E-INVSTRUCT, invalid structure level in save set
or
SI$COMPRESSED;1 has missing blocks 80952 through 80966

the errors have only started at the last directory eg VMS$common........

can i recover any of this disk? or repair? or will it still boot up with errors like these?

9 REPLIES 9
robert70
Valued Contributor

Re: errors on image restore

I see that [sys0.syscommon] directory structure and [vms$common] are identical? why is this and does this explain/help the fact it appears only [vms$common] fiels are showing error?
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

One thing that bothers me a bit...

>>>$$$ mount dka2:/over=id

$$$ backup/image/rewind dka2: $2$mga0:image.bck/label=image

$$$ dism/nounload $2$mga0:
$$$ dism/nounload dka2:
>>>$$$ mount/for dka2:

Typically, the tape drive is mounted foreign in both operations.  I'm not sure that this is a problem, but this is an inconsistancy.  Try mounting the tape "/over=id" on the restore operation as well.

The CRC errors often are reported because of a dirty tape head.  I have cleared up many of these just by using a cleaning tape prior to the backup.  Try this as well.

Dan

robert70
Valued Contributor

thanks abrsvc
will try cleaning the tape drive and your suggestion of consistency with the /over=id flag
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Run a cleaning cartridge through the drive, swap for a completely different cartridge from a different batch and retry, then call HP support.

This is a hardware problem, usually.  

Dirty tape, dirty drive, a bad tape (way more common than it should be, and there do seem to be some counterfeit tapes around), bad drive firmware, bad connection or bad cable to the drive, bad tape drive, bad host controller or bad storage controller-controller, bad controller or bad memory or bad system, or potentially an unsupported configuration.

Patch to current, too, as earlier V8.4 (prior to about UPDATE V5) was somewhat dicy.

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Lets go back a bit...  When did you make the tape and when did you restore it?  I'm not looking for specific times, just how many days...or months, etc. between making and restoring the tape.

Why?  If the drive was off-site and brought "home" for the restore there are some extremely specific guidelines for the storage and recovery of DLT tapes.  You could search using Google for "DLT sticktion" or "DLT stiction" for specific information.  The layers of tapes that haven't been stored properly can stick to themselves due to humidity and heat differentials and, in the worst cases, literally lift the record(ed/ing) media from the mylar and that makes recovering tough.

Other than that, if you've got a situation where the tape was JUST made and you turned it right around and tried to compress/restore you might have more troubles than bad tape(s).  Did you get any errors when the tapes were made?  What hardware do you have between the RX2800 and the tape unit (and what type tapedrive?)?  Have you used this gear without problems before?

bob

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Uugh! Tapes :-( 

Technology well past its use by date. Slow, error prone, difficult or impossible to recover from failures.

Throw away your tape drives and cartridges. Use disks for backup!

A crucible of informative mistakes
robert70
Valued Contributor
Solution

ran a cleaning tape through the tape drive

image restore now functioning correctly

GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

I've seen weird BACKUP errors due to SCSI problems.

What kind of tape drive and what kind of SCSI cables/terminators did you use? Which SCSI adatpter is this plugged into and are ther other devices on tha tSCSI bus?

And ALWAYS use /VERIFY on a save operation. This gives you confidence that the save set structure is good.

/Guenther

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

It is my belief that with the higher tape densities these days, that the heads are more sensitive to contamination. The debris that is normal for tapes provides sufficient interference that it can result in mis-reads. Couple the density with the increased tape speeds in streaming mode and it is understandable to see errors on occassion. Again, in most cases, a cleaning tape resolves the problem. Every once in a while, ususally after many cycles, the tape itself becomes marginal and needds to be replaced.

Dan