9819 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: expanded cluster configuration

Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

expanded cluster configuration

hi,

i try to find out what is that feature, and do not find easily a description. that is the reason of my thread. no critics (negative), just a remark to improve in the future the VMS marketing => this feature is not easy to find out described.

googl-ing did not bring much more than :

"OpenVMS Version 8.3 will introduce support for the newest Integrity servers, including new entry level, mid-range, and high-end systems
including Superdome. All of these new systems are based on the latest generation of Industry standard Itanium processors from Intel.
OpenVMS Version 8.3 continues support for all of the Integrity servers and options supported in OpenVMS Versions 8.2 and 8.2-1. This
release will include expanded cluster configuration support, performance and scalability enhancements, updated security and
standards, and enhanced Adaptive Enterprise support. OpenVMS Version 8.3 is targeted to release in Q3 2006."

i assume due to adaptative enterprise support etc ... that it has to do with cluster of machines, but i found it because i was looking at disk cluster size issue (thread will come soon) and remarked it was not actually described

=> where to find a description on the Net ?

=> is it with cluster of machines, or ?

thanks in advance to the community (great thanks ever to you, VMS people, like you are ...)

louis
6 REPLIES 6
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Louis,

My recollection (without comparing the SPDs for 8.2 and 8.3, which I do not have the time to do at this instant), is that the range of supported cluster configurations was expanded in 8.3. "Officially supported" (as opposed to "probably works") requires a high degree of testing.

The term "clusters" when used in reference to mass storage is a term with a totally different meaning. This meaning goes back to the early 1970's [it is already extant in the original Digital Specification for FILES-11, Level 1 for the RSX-11 family OS, and it is used in the first version of MS-DOS to support hard drives). In this context, it refers to minimum quantum of space allocation on a disk.

I hope that I have helped clear up some lack of clarity.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

bob,

thanks for that explanation, i assumed too that it was about cluster of machines.

i am just disappointed because i did not find in new features or in release notes any help about the feature or the more general adaptative enterprise mgmt. Just the naming orients to this assumption.

i let the thread opened for today, if someone could indicate a link to a short description thanks in advance.

louis
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

V8.3 introduced Integrity satellite booting and compression of SCS traffic.
Have a look at the VMS roadmap here:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/roadmap/openvms_roadmaps.htm

regards kalle
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

unclear where i would find something precise in that document about the terms.

karl :

i attended unfortunately the TUD Germany only after the first morning, so i missed that presentation. sh...t.

it may have helped immediately. but i missed it.

wim :

in the doc, wordings like "DT clusters extends upto 800 Kms" or "These attributes include high availability and DT through OpenVMS clustering; adaptability ..."

help a bit more.

nevertheless : thanks for your replies, it helps me to go straightforward to the clear definition, possibly to the exact descriptive text.

louis
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

many thanks

louis