Operating System - OpenVMS
1751907 Members
4990 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fast "raw" disk reader utility? (Unix "dd"?)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

fast "raw" disk reader utility? (Unix "dd"?)

I am looking for a program that will read LBNs (not files) from a specified disk as fast as it can. Does anybody have or know of a port of the Unix "dd" utility to VMS?

(DUMP dd: is way too slow, and
ANALYZE/DISK/READ dd: goes through the file system.)

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

5 REPLIES 5
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Why do want this?

Does this do what you want
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware70/diskblock/

How about mounting the disk /FOREIGN and then doing a $COPY or $BACKUP/PHYSICAL ?
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Ian: To make a long story short, to have a throughput test between selected host(s) and selected SAN subsystems. DISKBLOCK is just what I was looking for. Had to encapsulate it to make a command line interface (it's normally an interactive utility).

Uwe: COPY would, except it is not asynchronous. BACKUP/PHYSICAL requires an actual location; can't create a save-set on the "standard" null device.

(If anyone has other ideas, I will still entertain them.)

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Sheldon,

"BACKUP/PHYSICAL requires an actual location; can't create a save-set on the "standard" null device."

Try with:
$ BACKUP/PHYSICAL dd: NLA0:DUMMY/SAVE_SET

Bojan
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Sheldon,

A note of caution is in order. To benchmark SAN performance, what you are describing may yield misleading results.

Many controllers have substantial caches, with a variety of settings. The speed of a raw sequential disk copy may be misleading, without a complete analysis of the cache interaction effects. For that matter, many heavy disk writers may benefit from tuning, depending upon the exact behavior of the IO subsystem.

In summary, without supporting work, this may be a misleading benchmark.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com