3744 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: following a VMS V83A_UPDATE V8.0, INIT trouble

Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

following a VMS V83A_UPDATE V8.0, INIT trouble

hi,

i did not find this trouble reported under the forum at least for Alpha and that update level.
but the update is very very recent.

i am going in vacations for one week, so i will not reply to you. but i assume this information may worth if you (plan to) install that update too ?

see also attachment for more details.

every command attempt INIT has been executed under SYSTEM account. no priv restrictions.

my colleague updated a system V8.3 yesterday from ~ UPDATE V4.0 to ~ UPDATE V8.0 (see further for product installation history details, some additional patches)

following that update, i got trouble to initialize a disk :

HYPNOS/A/8.3> init $1$DGA207: siwi_imag
%CLI-F-SYNTAX, error parsing 'SPECIAL_FILES'
-CLI-E-ENTNF, specified entity not found in command tables

in the same cluster, a system V7.3-2 UPDATE V4.0 could initialize that drive (MSCP-served) without error. anyway, the error message indicates something wrong at syntax and DCL command table level.

i googled and found :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&objectID=c01411274

trouble under Integrity VMS 8.3 related with /VOLUME=SPECIAL_FILES qual + option.

i tried with it to bypass my troubles with different things and found soon the way to have it working.

also as a compare, a system UPDATE V7.0 + RMS V7.0 got no trouble with the INIT command without qualifier /VOLUME_CHARACTERISTICS.

i am going in vacations for one week and i will not reply to you. dont claim if no reaction. may it help someone too ?

yours

louis
6 REPLIES 6
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Louis,

please log a call with HP against VMS83A_UPDATE-V0800.

Joyeux No├Г┬лl,

Volker.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Louis,

May we assume you rebooted the system after the patch, or at the very least logged out and back in?
You may need to pick up a new DCLtables.exe.

Did you allow the install to create the _old images?
As a workaround rename init.exe to .exe_V800 and _old back to new, or copy an init.exe from an unpatched system? (eisner?)

Poke around with the 'verb' tool? possibly creating a temp defintion for init, again as workaround?

but yeah... do report to support if it fails after reboot/re-loggin.

fwiw,

Hein.
Marc A. Williams

This happened on our systems, too today. A correct INIT.CLD is getting put into Sys$Update, but it is NOT apparently getting applied to DCLTABLES.EXE.

$ set command/table=sys$share:dcltables sys$update:init
$ install/replace sys$share:dcltables

fixed the "%CLI-F-SYNTAX, error parsing 'SPECIAL_FILES'
-CLI-E-ENTNF, specified entity not found in command tables" error for us, which we were getting when trying to initialize TAPES for backups after applying VMS83A_UPDATE 8.0 (and VMS83A_SYS 10.0 and the other patches not rolled up into this December 2008 master update).

We hadn't done a VMS 8.3 Alpha patching pass for about a year (VMS83A_UPDATE 5.0 was last one, plus the patches to it prior to VMS83A_UPDATE 6.0). From the link Louis pointed out, looks like if you went through the VMS83A_RMS 6.0 patch you'd be OK. But we didn't when going from VMS83A_UPDATE 5.0 to 8.0...

Cheers,
Marc
Marc A. Williams

..oops.

$ set command /table=sys$share:dcltables /output=sys$common:[syslib]dcltables sys$update:init
$ install replace sys$share:dcltables

...without the "/output" qualifier on the "Set Command", you aren't saving the updated dcltables yourself, either ;-)

Nope, I haven't started New Year's celebrations early, either...
-Marc
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

back to the office, and replying your wise answers :

volker,

yes, i submitted a call :

log # 1603469863

notice nevertheless that for ourselves [and for marc too], this is no more a critical issue when one handles "wisely" the situation, that is : an "advanced" VMS customer can by-pass the trouble to help him/her-self.

just : not every one is supposed to be advanced and/or installation kit is supposed to install straightforward ... and one may not be able to initialize tape without solving it => interesting situation :-)

hein,

yes we rebooted after installing the series of patches (UPDATE + several ones in one sequence)

hein+marc,

INIT.EXE image location : i assume = SYS$SYSTEM ? since new image has been found under SYS$UPDATE, something wrong in the installation procedure, or ??? we did move into SYS$SYSTEM too in our "customized solution" to solve our trouble.

marc,

i used first a temporary solution (see attached text on 19.dec.) with a process-wide SET COMMAND, but that install/replace you suggest has been done finally on the system and solves the issue.

this trouble, so this work-around has been ~ suggested to me by the RMS ECO trouble under integrity V8.3 platform i red at the time i encounter the INIT trouble. link in attached text.

i am closing now this thread, since it should be enough info for anyone needing them.

"have one on me", would say someone.

have one on me on the 31th. a l'annee prochaine.

louis
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

work-around found, waiting for HP ECO solution to this issue.