Re: ftp to vms box no longer succeeds

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carlo Corthouts
Frequent Advisor

It actually should be
$ sho log user$disk2 /full
"USER$DISK2" [super] = "DSA107:" [concealed] (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Carlo,
I should define USER$DISK2 in executive mode instead of supervisor.
Greetz,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

FTP tries to create a logfile TCPIP$FTP_SERVER.LOG in your logindirectory.
Is everything o.k. with it, i.e. when you login via telnet using the same account as in FTP, can your create files in your logindirectory?

Note: a logical TCPIP$FTP_SERVER may override the name and location of FTP serverlogfile, if defined, check this instead of your logindirectory.

regards Kalle
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Carlo,

there seem to be 2 TCPIP$FTPC... processes running (or maybe hanging around ?) on your system. These processes should be executing the image TCPIP$FTP_CHILD.EXE and are end-points of FTP sessions from some FTP clients to your FTP server.

$ TCPIP SHOW DEV/PORT=20 should show the device sockets of active FTP sessions.

Did you try to restart your FTP server ? Use @SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG and stop and start the FTP server (or use @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$FTP_SHUTDOWN.COM and TCPIP$FTP_STARTUP.COM directly.

Volker.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Btw,
What does
SHOW DEVICE DSA107
tell you?
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Carlo Corthouts
Frequent Advisor

Volker,

Tried stopping the ftp server but now I can start it up again as there is no TCPIP$INET_STARTUP.COM.
Carlo Corthouts
Frequent Advisor

SHOW DEVICE DSA107 shows me normal output.
Carlo Corthouts
Frequent Advisor

there is an inet_startup but not a ftp_startup
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

TCPIP$INET_STARTUP.COM not found?
There must be something wrong with your system disk.
Here I have, 2 TCPIP$*.COM files in SYS$COMMON:[SYS$STARTUP] and 90 of those in SYS$COMMON:[SYSMGR].
Btw, TCPIP$FTP_STARTUP does not invoke TCPIP$INET_STARTUP (at least to my knowledge).
Greetz,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Carlo,

I did not yet notice enyone welcoming you, so first things first:

"Welcome to VMS"

For your access via ftp, I agree with Qkcl:
have your concealed devices defined /EXEC, if they are to be accessable from privileged mode.

After some investigations into the problem, I found that in the ftp log there was a message with :

In WHICH ftp log did you find that?

The error clearly indicates, that you are trying to access a device (probably via a logical name construct) which is not available, at least, not available via the given specification. Note: this means: not available as seen from the starting network process, (potentially from a privd mode).

If you DO have a TCPIP$FTP_SETVER.LOG in the users SYS$LOGIN directory, then you MAY have a means to investigate further:
(Together with your system manager) make a temporary addition to SYS$SYLOGIN

$ if f$getjpi("","mode") .eqs. "BATCH" .and.-
f$getjpi("","username") .eqs.
$ then
$ set verify
$ endif

Now your LOG will hold a lot more info, which might be very helpfull in identifying the problem.

Note that this introduces a potential security issue, and so, as soon as possible, this addition should be removed again.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.