New Discussion юеВ

hard drive look to me is dead

SOLVED
Go to solution
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

hard drive look to me is dead

Hello All,
What a bad year, One of my external hard drive look to me is dead since I can't here it spinning at all. When I boot up the dive it say "devoffline", is there any company in Canada can recover the data from that drive for me ?
Thanks !
Scc
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: hard drive look to me is dead

Hm, not all disk drives spin up automatically if you power them up, but OpenVMS is clever and knows how to tell a SCSI disk drive to start. If the drive still does not come online, yes, it looks like it is dead. Sorry to hear that!
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Sometimes it helps to use a little hammer and knock on disk to spin it up.

regards Kalle
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Or even slightly shaking the drive might solve the problem. Or dropping on a table from a few cm hight.

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A disk drive is a sensitive device and bumping it with a hard mass induces high G-forces which might make the situation worse. So that might be acceptable if as a last try and if you don't want to give it to a data recovery company.
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

I find out is the ext. power supply cause the problem. Now I can reboot the system. But There are some error while reboot saying
i/o error reading header 191 on relative volume 1.....
too many file header error - rebuild aborted.
I still can login in but is there a way to force the system to repair the drive.
Sc
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can try a manual[1] rebuild:
$ ANALYZE /DISK_STRUCTURE /REPAIR device:

but from the message it sounds like some sectors on the disk that contain file headers are bad.

[1] the operating system has discovered that the volume was not dismounted properly and tries an automatic rebuild during implicitly mounting the system disk. You can hack around this by doing a conversational boot and then:
SYSBOOT> set acp_rebuildsysd 0
(I hope that's right - it's from memory).

It's possible that power fluctuations damaged the data on the disk drive. I would not try to continue with that volume, but rather try a backup in case you need some data and then do a restore from backup media or a new installation.

The reason is that there might be errors in data sectors, too. You might try to find them out by a:
$ ANALYZE /DISK_STRUCTURE /READ ...

but who knows if some data hasn't been corrupted already?