108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to change clustersize of systemdisk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

how to change clustersize of systemdisk

"Changing clustersize" for a datadisk is (I hope) staight forward: Create a new disk with different clustersize and BACKUP (without /IMAGE) all required data onto this disk. Right?
How do you do this with the system disk ?Problem is that all files, residing on [VMS$COMMON] are actually 'Entered' (SET FILE/ENTER) into the systemroot ([SYS0], [SYS1] etc) will be copies as files - not as directroy entries.
One thing I tried is to backup each directory separately, but still I ran into this problem with the system root(s).
Is there an easy way without having to redo all installation, and without having to install all layered products again?
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
22 REPLIES 22
Dieter Rossbach
Regular Advisor

There is no easy way (my opinion only) and yes, the links are the problem.

My first try og an answer:

1. Image-Backup of the system disk to a second one
2. set file/remove on disk2:[sys0]syscommon.dir
and on disk2:[sys1] ....
3. Init the new disk with the desired cluster size
4. Backup (without /image ...) disk2 to the new one
5. set file/enter=newdisk:[sys0]syscommon.dir newdisk:vms$common.dir
6. mc writeboot (perhaps)

Regards

Dieter

├Еge R├╕nning
Trusted Contributor

Why don't you use image backup?
Backup/image
Init with required clustersize + other init parameters
Backup/image/NOINIT

The restore command will not take init information from the backup, But use what you just used in the init command.
VMS Forever
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ,

I also think like Age:

1. Take standalone backup of system disk [ or backup/image/ingore=(interlock,nobackup)]
2. Initialize your system disk with required cluster size
3. Backup/image/noinit ..

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh

What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Dieter Rossbach
Regular Advisor

I did a fast test:

$ init drb0: /struc=5/clu=26 newsys ! system disk is ods-5
$ mount /for drb0
$ backup/image/ignore=inter/noinit dra6: drb0:

and get:

%BACKUP-F-INVATTVAL, invalid attribute record value in save set

and yes: it works without /NOINIT .

Regards

Dieter

Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dieter,

Please remove /struc=5 from the following command - init drb0: /struc=5/clu=26 newsys.

That is use the following command, and let us know the results:
$init drb0:/clus=26 newsys

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Why? What problem are you trying to solve?

Assuming I have extra disks I would like to keep my system disk clean and clear of any growing files through logical names. accountng, operator, sysuaf, rightslist,...

That way you basically do not have to make a backup of the system disk except for after major software changes.

fwiw,
Groetjes,
Hein.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi
when I read Willen question I thought me because no IMAGE (I've used in tha past to backup & restore system disk); so I opened my VMS and typed help BACK/IMAGE and I read:

Directs BACKUP to process an entire volume or volume set.
Using this qualifier produces a functionally equivalent copy of the original volume or volume set.
[...]
Specifying the /IMAGE qualifier without also specifying /NOALIAS can result in incomplete disk or file restoration operations.
[...]
/------------------------------------------\
|Beginning in OpenVMS Version 7.2, when you |use the BACKUP/IMAGE command to restore or |copy a volume, the BACKUP utility preserves
|the cluster factor.
\------------------------------------------/
Before V7.2 was possible (so I known) change cluster factor as hint by AGe & Lockesh.
I think this limitation was introduced with new ODS-5 format to avoid some trouble.
So unique solution mey be the Ditier's answer.
Bye
Antoniov

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Dieter Rossbach
Regular Advisor

@lokesh:

Backup/image won't work! I tried it, you get a "structure mismatch" error message! Remember: my system disk is ods-5,too.

Regards

Dieter
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Hein:
Why? Simply, when I first started with this system I had only one (9Gb) disk, it was initilized to clustersize of 18 installing VMS. Since it was the only disk, I had to put all on that one. Now, new (small, as I'm a small user) disks were added and I want to clean up the system disk (indeed) and put it on a smaller clustersize ((much) less unusable space). Purely a matter of efficiency....It could also reside on the second disk, doesn't have to be restored on the original (I expect it even is the only way to get it copied ;-)) And it is an ODS-5 disk; a requirement, since Tomcat is on that disk as well.
Dieter: without /NOINIT I will be stuck to the big clustersize, I guess. Not what I want...
Lokesh (and others that suggested): why not making an image_copy/image/noinit to the second disk? Would do, would it?
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager