108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to reconfig the hardware address

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I'll retry.

Your network card had address A.

Decnet starts and calculates a new address B based upon the decnet address. From then on, all network protocols that start will use that address B.

If you assign the decnet address to another node and stop the old node, the address with which the new node will communicate is the same as that of the old node (that is B).

Study hard !

Wim
Wim
lovexeagle
Occasional Advisor

what I want to know is why my "clone" system can not communicate to the old network through decnet Address ?

Does I must reconfig the DECnet Address?

if not, what the problem can make the network crash.

thanks for your patient answer├п┬╝ you are a good guy :)
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you mean with "clone".

if you have 2 nodes on the same network with the same decnet config, you are in shit. 2 nodes will fight for the network packages. Result will be very messy (didn't try it yet). You will have to rename 1 of the 2 nodes or put 1 out of order (power off).

Wim
Wim
lovexeagle
Occasional Advisor

the word "clone" is from karl :).
I mean "backup/image" from A to mathine B
what I want to do is B does the same function as A├г B is a backup system of A├г
they will not appear in the same network at the same time├г

Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

If system B is only connected to the network, if system A is down, you may leave all addresses unchanged, so that B may work as A in case of problems.

I attached a (quite crude) DCL procedure, which converts DECnet addresses to their AA... equivalent and vice versa for your information.

regards Kalle
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Then read this one.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1038607

If the hardware is the identical the machine should work without change (licenses ?). Otherwise you might encounter some problems.

Wim
Wim
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

lovexeagle,

To begin with:
WELCOME to the VMS forum!

What is not yet clear to me:
Is the _ORIGINAL_ node (from which you made the system disk Backup) running at the moment?

If so, than you would be trying to get two same MAC-addresses in your network, which will not work, and therefore, you MUST reconfigure DECnet to a unique address (let's say, you chose x.y) Be sure to change SYSGEN parameter SCSSYSTEMID to (1024 * x) + y. You will then need a reboot.
After that, you get a new AA:00:.. MAC address (it is calculated automaticly).
Now you have a network, and you can configure IP.

Note: this ONLY applies when the original node of that system disk is still running, and on the same network. If not, forget about this post.

Hope this helps.

Success.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
William Brown_2
Occasional Advisor

You also need to check the id of the network card in the old vs the new system. If they are the same ethernet cards and the same number of cards, then it should be the same. If different you need to check...could be EIA or EWA depending on the cards.

On a running system (with phase IV Decnet)
go into NCP and give the command SHOW KNOWN CIRCUITS. This will show the known devices and their states (-ON should mean working, -off not working, -starting probably means trying but having a problem.) Also, NCP command SHOW KNOW LINES will show know lines of which some might not be know to DECnet.

You might even need to run NETCONFIG.COM to get DECnet configured with the correct config for the 'new' system if different than the old (so that DECnet has seen all the lines AND circuits).

Just some more of the many possibilities depending on the situation.

Good day,

Bill
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

OpenVMS systems can run many network protocols, not just TCP/IP. Typically you will find the following protocols in use with ethernet network interfaces:

- SCS (a layer 2 protocol used for cluster traffic)
- LAT (a layer 2 protocol used for terminal and printer traffic, usually with terminal servers, otherwise known as DECservers)
- MOP (a layer 2 protocol used for down-line loading devices, often DECservers and cluster satellites)
- DECnet (a layer 3 protocol used for node to node communication)
- TCP/IP (a layer 3 protocol used for node to node communication)

These different protocols all work in different ways and can all co-exist on the same network interfaces.

The ethernet specifications require each network interface to have a unique address - known as the MAC address (Media Access Control). The MAC address is usually based on a unique number contained in ROM on the network interface and is known as the hardware MAC address.

The interface operates with the physical MAC address, which is usually loaded from the hardware MAC address, but it can be set by the network layer drivers to an alternate value. DECnet Phase IV (and Phase V in Phase IV compatible mode) sets the physical MAC address to a known value based on the DECnet Phase IV node address.

DECnet node addresses have the format . and are node addresses - this is different to TCP/IP addressing where TCP/IP addresses are per interface.

The AA-00-04-00-xx-yy address is simply a DECnet Phase IV physical MAC address and it was loaded into the network adapter when DECnet started. Other protocols (which should be started after DECnet) then use the AA-00-04-00-xx-yy address as the MAC address, so for example a TCP/IP ARP would resolve to the AA-00-04-00-xx-yy physical MAC address, not the underlying hardware MAC address.

If you want to understand this well you need to understand ethernet addressing and the operation of the individual protocols. Here is a useful reference: http://www.ethermanage.com/ethernet/ethernet.html

You will find the conventions for address allocation in RFC1700, for example here: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1700.html.

You may also find this technical description of DECnet Phase V (and Phase IV) useful:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/v5/index.html#decnet

To "change the address" of the second system then you will need to:
- change the DECnet Phase IV address (assuming that you are using Phase IV or Phase V in Phase IV compatible mode)
- change the TCP/IP address (or addresses if there are multiple interfaces)
- change the system name (SCSNODE and SCSSYSTEMID) via MODPARAMS.DAT and AUTOGEN
- change occurrences of the system name in command files etc.
- and so on.

See the VMS FAQ and Wizard articles for further information.

If you still need help to do this work then I'd recommend that you consider bringing in someone to help you and to teach you in the process. VMS is probably the most reliable and best operating system in existence - and it is easy to work with once you understand the basic principles. Also remember that the on-line HELP is excellent, as is the extremely comprehensive manual set. Please read them carefully.

Have fun.
Colin.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Chinraj Rajasekaran
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

there is a useful list in the VMS FAQ
Section 5.7
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/faq/vmsfaq_007.html#mgmt9

Cheers
Raj