5352 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to reconfig the hardware address

Steve-Thompson
Regular Advisor

NiHowMa

Your initial question refers to the use of TCPIP, and most answers refer to DECnet.
Quite rightly, too.
A MAC address in the form AA-00-04-01-04 means DECnet has been started up.
(What does it mean? Transpose the 01-04 to 0401. It's a HEX number convert 401 to decimal and you get 1025. This means you have a DECnet address of 1.1! Calculated by 1.0*1024 + 1.
I hope that answers your original question.

Don't bother to try and "change it" it gets calulated by DECnet software.
DECnet software gets it from the SCSSYSTEMID sysgen parameter, which should be equal to 1025.

You CANT use systems A and B on the net at the SAME time if they both have a backup copy of the same disk, but they should work perfectly one at a time.

Are they the same system? If not, then this is where the next problem might be.

Alphas of different type configure their Line/circuit/ethernet information with a different name. the result is DECnet or TCPIP wont work because it needs reconfiguring.

DECnet is really easy to configure if this is your case.

Login as SYSTEM and look for a file called either netconfig.com or net$configure.com...

To help ....
with this command you would see your TCPIP interface configuration ...
$ tcpip sho interface
and the output looks something like this:-
----------------
Packets
Interface IP_Addr Network mask Receive Send MTU

IE0 10.32.3.124 255.255.255.0 576215 244775 1500
IE1 10.32.3.125 255.255.255.0 289981 35540 1500
LO0 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 0 0 4096
---------------------------

with this command you would see some DECnet information...
$mc ncp sho exec
and the output will be similar to this
-----------
ode Volatile Summary as of 23-AUG-2006 16:34:33

Executor node = 1.111 (MOON)

State = on
Identification = DECnet-OSI for OpenVMS
-------------

lovexeagle
Occasional Advisor

thanks you all I'am so grateful for all your help!

I have backup my system successfully├г

Saju a r s
Advisor

Hi ...i have a similar problem in my DS15 cluster . When i do a ifconfig -a i get the same HW address for ee0 and ee2 .
qts201:/> ifconfig -a -v
ee0: flags=c63
HWaddr aa:00:04:00:e8:1c
inet 1.1.2.232 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 1.1.2.255 ipmtu 1500

ee2: flags=c63
HWaddr aa:00:04:00:e8:1c
inet 1.1.1.232 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 1.1.1.255 ipmtu 1500

Both the interfaces are on different card.Both of them have been configured to use DECNET .But why same HW address ?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Why the same hardware address?

Because DECnet Phase IV uses the same hardware address, as has been discussed earlier in this thread. That's just the way that DECnet Phase IV addressing and Phase IV routing works.

You can connect onto the same LAN segment only if you have DECnet-Plus, also known as DECnet Phase V. This because having more than one station with the same address on the same LAN segment is forbidden.

You cannot change this behavior.

You can only choose to not start DECnet Phase IV on the secondary controllers on the same LAN segment, or you can choose to use DECnet-Plus. Or you can chunk up the LAN segment by locating DECnet routers between the segments.

Some background reading material:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECnet

Some history: DECnet-Plus is about twenty years old now, though (for various reasons) the adoption of Phase IV and the OSI stack was and is slow; the OSI network stack was thought to be the next-generation networking stack, and IP was the next-generation networking stack. Subsequent to its product release, DECnet-Plus was upgraded and can now operate over IP, so you can use Phase IV routing and OSI routing and IP routing.

But in any case: what you are seeing is simply the way that DECnet Phase IV works.

Saju a r s
Advisor

Thanks...
now i got it..