New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp integrity rx4640 configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

hp integrity rx4640 configuration

Hi Managers,
I hv to built an IT setup for 5 hp integrity servers rx4640 at remote sites.
configuration include dual processor with 16GB memory having OpenVMS.

What Minimum Hardware/Software will be required to implement:

1. External storage (SCSI) for 5X146GB Hard Disks.
2. Implemetation of Raid 1 & Raiad 5.
3. WAN (Dialup) Link for OpenVMS Servers at remote locations.

For External storage if I consider hp StorageWorks Disk Enclosure 4300 (retired product) Would I be need Volume shadowing software to implement Raid 1&5???
If I consider MSA1500 as external storage wud I be need Volume Shadowing Software to implement Raid 1&5??

Or any One can suggest The minimum External Cabinet with HBA Card to work with SCSI bus to get the requirement.

Secondly which External or Internal Modem will be required to establish a dial-up connection for remote Servers to Transfer DATA.

Wud appreciate if any one could give the best solution to achiev the requirement.

Rgds
Ahmed
8 REPLIES 8
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The MSA30 is the follow on product to the M4300 disk drive enclosure. OpenVMS Volume shadowing can do RAID-1, not RAID-5. The MSA1500 can do RAID-0, -1, -5 and ADG, but it is not supported for OpenVMS -- you would have to use the MSA1000 (supports the same RAID levels).
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

Hi Uwe,

Thanx for sharing information,

What about Dial-up connections??

Rgds
ahmed
Keith Parris
Trusted Contributor
Solution

> Would I be need Volume shadowing software to implement Raid 1&5???

As Uwe pointed out, Volume Shadowing can only do RAID-1. RAID-5 (as well as RAID-0, and RAID 0+1 when used in conjunction with Volume Shadowing) can be done by the host-based "HP RAID Software for OpenVMS" product (see the SPD at http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/SP4649/SP4649PF.PDF).

> If I consider MSA1500 as external storage wud I be need Volume Shadowing Software to implement Raid 1&5??

As Uwe pointed out, that controller can do RAID-1 and 5 internally. Some folks use Volume Shadowing above a pair of controllers to provide protection against controller failure.

> The MSA1500 ... is not supported for OpenVMS

Current plans are for support by OpenVMS of the MSA1500 during the first half of calendar year 2006, with support in OpenVMS versions as far back as 7.3-2.

> WAN (Dialup) Link for OpenVMS Servers at remote locations.

In the past, with VAX and Alpha systems, many folks have used a terminal server and connected a dialup modem (as well as the system's console serial port) to that. Folks typically put a password on the dialup port on the terminal server to protect access.

But the rx4640 has a fairly sophisticated console subsystem built in, with an Ethernet port and provisions for remote Telnet access, as well as some serial ports to which a dialup modem might be connected, so you might set things up to connect directly that way.
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

Hi Keith,

Thanx for detailed reply:

if I plan to use JBOD MSA30 with rx4640 having HBA, PCI-X 2-channel smart Array6402 U320. How can I use Raid levels without using HP RAID software for OpenVMS?
How can I configure Raid at EFI Level?Is there any RCU (Raid configuration utility) for EFI(Firmware) to use with.

Keith Parris
Trusted Contributor

> if I plan to use JBOD MSA30 with rx4640 having HBA, PCI-X 2-channel smart Array6402 U320.

Based on the information on the HP website (http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=2511772&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20Smart%20Array%206402%20U320%202CH%20Controller), it doesn't appear that OpenVMS presently supports the Smart Array 6402 U320.
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

Keith,
Following link shows that Smart Array 6404 (A9890A) is supported under OpenVMS V8.2:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11847_div/11847_div.HTML

How it can be used to configure Raid Levels under OpenVMS. I mean Which OpenVMS Utility will implement Raid?

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It says "Support available in Q4 Calendar Year 2005 for OpenVMS.", but the last modification for the document is from 6-JAN-2006. It's possible that the date as slipped.
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

Pls. suggest which HBA for rx4640 server I can use with MSA30 SB (MSA30 With Single U320 I/O) to Achieve 1&5 Raid Levels with OpenVMS V8.2 and which openVms utility will perform Raid other than Hp Raid for openVMS.