1753842 Members
8948 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO Emulators

RazvanS1

iLO Emulators

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if an iLO emulator exists and what it is called?

Thank you,
Razvan
7 REPLIES 7
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I doubt there's a public emulator for the Integrated Lights-Out Management Processor (iLO MP), but I'm going to guess you work for HP as the question doesn't seem to make sense outside an HP staffer looking to get going with some HP hardware testing. As such, that's a question you'll want to address directly to the HP hardware team responsible for the iLO hardware products.
RazvanS1

I'm not a HP employee, but the company I work for is mostly using HP servers. I want to do some tests with iLO, but at this point I have got no test server at my disposal.

I know there has been a thread about this somtime in 2006, on this forum, and at that point someone posted a video of an emulator
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Google search with

/site:itrc.hp.com ilo emulator/

finds this:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1052524

And used Itanium rx2600 or zx6000 boxes with an iLO can be had for about US$500 on eBay, FWIW.
RazvanS1

Found that topic to. It doesn't give any useful information, though.

Thanks for your replies.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

"iLO" as a term has no specific technical specifications, such that any testing on an "emulator" might not bear any resemblance to what happens in the real world.

I agree with Steve's suggestion about getting a cheap server, but bear in mind that the operating characteristics of iLO2 vs. iLO3 and ProLiant iLO vs. Integrity iLO can vary dramatically.

What, exactly, do you want to test?

-- Rob
RazvanS1

I just want to test basic functions and get a feel of it. I want to see what options I have when working with it and also what it's capabilities are...
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Until your management decides to spend a modicum of money to forward your knowledge and your access, you'll almost certainly be working solely from the iLO manuals.