New Discussion юеВ

install Log-Handler-0.65 module

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

install Log-Handler-0.65 module

Hi

I have to install the log::handler module. This is the last module that I need (I hope) to do porting of a perl program on VMS.

I have checked for dependencies and I've noted that the module params::validate is the only missing module in my environment.

So I've started installing Params-Validate-0.95. I gave the commands:
perl build.pl (with "your kit is complete" result)
perl build.com

During build.com I obtain the error in the attachment.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Regards
6 REPLIES 6
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Re: install Log-Handler-0.65 module

stating the bleedin' obvious...

you need "ppport.h".

The "long symbol" warnings tell you that whoever wrote the code has made assumptions which are violated in an OpenVMS environment. They're probably benign, but the other assumption, about the presence of ppport.h, is not.

To work out what ppport.h is, and where to obtain it, you'll need to go back to the author of validate, or ask Google.

(don't be too surprised if, when you find ppport.h, that it has further dependencies. Welcome to the wonderful world of platform independent code ;-)
A crucible of informative mistakes
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor
Solution

The ppport.h file is in the [.c] directory of the distribution. You can see that the include qualifier on your compile command specifies it, but not in VMS syntax. You might try changing the line in the Build.PL that says:

c_source => 'c',

and make it say:

c_source => '[.c]',

or maybe './c' or 'c/' so it recognizes it as a directory.

That's just a guess -- I haven't tried it.

The long symbol name warnings are there on the outside chance that the Perl extension you are building depends on an external library which also has long (> 31 chars) symbol names, in which case you would need to take action to get the shortened symbol names to match.

This home-grown symbol shortening long predates the availability of the /NAMES=SHORTENED compiler option. It may be possible to replace it with that, but, as we say in the Perl world, I haven't got a round tuit (say it out loud with an American accent).

Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Hi

I've changed the line in the Build.PL in c_source => '[.c]'
and now it works. I've completed the installation of params::validate without other problems.

After that I've tried to install the log::handler module giving the commands:

perl makefile.pl
mmk
mmk test (All tests successful)
mmk install

The install procedure stops with the error:
%MMK-I-ACTNOUPD, action did not update target INSTALL
how you can see in the attachment.

Can I ignore that? or what do I have to do?

Regards

Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

The last two lines of your installation look like:

Appending installation info to perl_root:[lib.VMS_IA64.5_10_1]perllocal.pod
%MMK-I-ACTNOUPD, action did not update target INSTALL

It wouldn't be appending to perllocal.pod if it hadn't completed the installation. And notice on the ACTNOUPD line, the severity is informational (-I-), i.e., it's not a warning or an error. This is a quirk of MMK (and, I believe, MMS); if they update a target in a way that does not record a permanent result in the filesystem, they feel the need to tell you about it. The INSTALL target is not a file, just a list of things to do, so there is nothing updated as a result of executing that target's directives. The directives themselves were still executed, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

In answer to your question, no, you should not ignore these, but you should understand what they mean :-). I think your good to go, though of course your own application could have portability concerns as well.
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Ok, thanks for the explanation.
Bye.
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Installation problem solved.