108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: install OVMS 7.3-1 on PWS, DQDRIVER.EXE error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffrey Smith_7
Advisor

install OVMS 7.3-1 on PWS, DQDRIVER.EXE error

I am trying to install V7.3-1 on a PWS 433au.
It gets to the OVMS banner and halts with the following error message:

%INIT_TO_DB-F-LOAD_ERROR, Could not load DQ, driver SYS$DQDRIVER.EXE, status 0x4

A patch (VMS731_DQDRIVER-V0100 Alpha V7.3-1 ECO) is available, but I have a few questions.

Is the EXE file causing the halt? Must the patch be installed? how to install before or during OVS installation? how to get it from ftp to PWS.

thanks,
Jeff
25 REPLIES 25
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Is this when booting the V7.3-1 CD and can you post the result of doing
SHOW CONFIG
as there are issues with some PWS

VMS FAQ 14.4.4.2
In the show config output you are looking for
"Cypress PCI Peripheral Controller"
or
"Intel SIO 82378"

If its the Cypress then it should be ok. If its the Intel then you have to boot from a scsi drive.

See also freeware V5
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware50/dqdriver/
in particular
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware50/dqdriver/freeware_readme.txt

Thank yo for responding. Yes, the issue occurs when booting from the CD-ROM. This is a new (to me) PWS with a wiped HDD. If you are specifically looking for Cypress PCI Peripheral Controller at Bus 00 Slot 07. In case there may be another problem, the rest of the config is below. I read the Intel IDE controller issue, but the detailed description of DQDRIVER.EXE is new to me.

Firmware
SRM Console: V7.2-1 Mar 6 2000
ARC Console: 5.70
PALcode: OVMS - V1.20-16
SROM Version: v5.90

Processor
DECchip(tm) 21164A-2 Pass 433 MHz 96 KBytes SCache
0MB BCache
PYXIS ASIC Pass 257

MEMORY

Memory Size = 64Mb

Bank Size/Sets Base Addr
----- --------- ---------
0 64 00000000

BCache Size = 0Mb

Tested Memory = 64Mbytes

PCI Bus
Bus 00 Slot 03: Digital Semiconductor 21143 Network Controller
ewa0.0.0.3.0 00-00-F8-76-3B-E3

Buss 00 Slot 07: Cypress PCI Peripheral Controller

Bus 00 Slot 07: Function 1: PCI IDE

Bus 00 Slot 07: Function 2: PCI IDE
dkb0.0.0.207.0 Maxtor
dkb100.1.0.207.0 Toshiba CD-ROM

Bus 00 Slot 07: PCI USP
Bus 00 Slot 20: DECchip 21152 PCI to PCI Bridge

Bus 01 Slot 04: ISP1040 Scsi Controller
pkc0.7.0.1004.0 SCSI Bus ID 7

ISA
Slot Dev Name Type Enabled BaseAddr IRQ DMA
0 Mouse Embed Yes 60 12
1 KBD " " 60 1
2 COM1 " " 3f8 4
3 COM2 " " 2f8 3
4 LPT1 " " 3bc 7
5 FLOPPY " " 3f0 6 2
6 EIDE " " 1f0 14
3f6 15
7 ES1888 " " 220 5 1
8 USB " " 10

<>
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

It looks to me that SYSINIT is causing the halt, since that will attempt to install the drivers. It's probably not a matter of this driver itself, merely that INIT cannot load it for some reason.
I know my PWS's SRM version is the same but IIRC, my PAL version is higher. It is possible that you cannot use DQDRIVER on your system, since the hardware isn't there. Not all PWS's are capable of booting from CDROM, or have hardware to handle IDE drives.

I guess you did >>> SHOW CONFIG. Give the output of >>> SHOW DEVICE as well.

I don't see any PK device (SCSI controller) in your listing, but I assume there are two present, since the configuration shows two DKB devices. I assume you booted from DKB100 (Toshiba CD-ROM). It might be that this type of CD drive cannot be handled properly.

another thing in your listing:

No cache memory? It might be a problem, or give you low(er) performance when you booted. but it may be a 433 Mhz machines doesn't require this cache.

That being said: Installing the patch won't do, since it's not the driver causing the problem. And to install the patch, VMS should be running first....

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jeffrey Smith_7
Advisor

>>>sho dev
dkb0.0.0.207.0 DKB0 Maxtor
dkb100.1.0.207.0 DKB100 Toshiba CD-ROM
dva0.0.0.0.1 DVA0
ewa0.0.0.3.0 EWA0 00-00-F8-76-3B-E3
pkc0.7.0.1004.0 PKC0 SCSI Bus ID 7
pqa0.0.0.107.0 PQA0 PCI EIDE
pqb0.0.0.207.0 PQB0 PCI EIDE

The HDD and CD-ROM are IDE devices (based on the ribbon and labels). This was bought on eBay, but the devices are of the same period as the PWS. Will I need to remove the IDE drives and install SCSI devices?

Thank you both for your help.
Jeff
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

the hard drive and CD are showing up as SCSI devices (maxtor, toshiba). If they where IDE they would show as DQ devices not DK

@Ian: ?????
I always thought the first character defines the type of device (D = Disk or alike, M= tape), the second the interface (K=SCSI, Q=IDE) and the third the interface number (A = first, B = second and so on). And that's consistent throughtout SRM: on My system, I have 2 SCSI interfaces: PKA (on board) with DKA0 connected, and PKB (add-on) with DKB0, DKB100, DKB400 and MKB500 connected (2 disks, a CDROM and a tape unit, in that order).
If that's true, there is quite an anomaly here. DKB requires PKB - and I don't see that!

@jeffry:
It's easy to mix a 50-pin cable between IDE and older SCSI since these are equal.... Weird it did get the basic banner, if you made an error here.
Check the device: Is there a jumper on the back of the CDROM drive that allows you to configure the CD to be "master", "slave" or "Cable select"? In that case, it's an IDE device to be connected to the IDE interface and the drive should show up in SRM as DQ device.
Otherwise, there should be a jumper on back or bottom to define the LUN - default (by convention) for CDROM is 4 - to be connected to the SCSI controller, and it should show up as DB device.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff,
for me you have SCSI devices.
Even if you confuse SCSI cable with IDE cable, your SRM can't recognize Maxtor o Toshiba brand. So I'm convinced you have 2 SCSI devices.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
John H. Reinhardt
Frequent Advisor

Jeff:
Proabably what you have is a PWS 433a rather than an "au". People selling on Ebay rarely know the difference. The difference is that the "a" was build for running Windows NT and the "au" for Digital UNIX (Tru64) and sometimes VMS. The PWS 433 also came with two versions of the motherboard. The good news is that it looks like you have the newer one since it has the Cypress SIO rather than the Intel SIO chip. This means that you can boot from an IDE CD-ROM. What I don't know is if VMS will work with your CD drive. I think so since it's a Toshiba and you are getting as far as running SYSINIT. So that's good.

In the UNIX and VMS versions of the PWS the hard drive is always SCSI and you have a SCSI controller (built in?) - it's the PKC0 device. I believe that you may need a SCSI hard drive since I don't know if the PWS's SRM firmware supports an IDE hard drive for VMS (or UNIX).

I must say the device naming has me quite confused also. Normally the SCSI cards start at PKA (not PKC) and I don't know why the CD and hard drive are DK's and not DQ's. This may be what's causing SYSINIT to complain. But I know of no place in the firmware to change the names. Can you give a complete inventory (physical inspection) of the PCI cards (if any) in your machine?

I think the cabling is okay since the dvice numbers make sense - IDE has a "Master" and a "Slave" devices on each cable so the Maxtor is the "Master" on DKB0: and the CD is the "slave" at DKB100: (i.e. devices 0 and 1).

The only thing that even makes a little sense is that maybe, since the IDE controller senses the devices it allocates the "A" and "B" controller slots (PQA0 and PQB0) forcing the SCSI to the "C" slot (PKC0). Since both the hard drive and the CD are on the 2nd IDE channel that makes them DKB0: and DKB100: with DKA open (nothing on the 1st IDE channel) and PKC open (no SCSI devices).

Ian:

According to the SHOW CONFIG that Jeffery posted the CD and HD are definately connected to the IDE controller. I do not understand either why they are labelled DK and not DQ.

Willem:

In the PWS "a" series it is common to not have any Bcache. Unless you bought an actual "au" it was an extra cost option I believe. Also the IDE cable has a 40-pin connector and the regualr SCSI will be 50-pin. Kind of hard to make one fit the other. My PWS was an early "a" model that I converted and didn't have the built-in SCSI like the later ones. I believe the SCSI there is the 68-pin FW type which in no way can be confused with a 40-pin IDE cable.