5349 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: insvirmem on sort

Guillou_2
Frequent Advisor

insvirmem on sort

Hi,

Since the upgrade of our server alpha 2100 vms6.2 on a ds10 vms7.3-1, on a sort we have error message like "sort-w-syserror, system service error" followed by "lib-f-insvirmem, insufficient virtual memory error".
On the 2100 we didn't have this kind of problem.

Maybe someone could help me to understand this behaviour and lead me to the solution?

regards

Steph.
18 REPLIES 18
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As the first try to increase the /PGFLQUOTA parameter in UAF.

Bojan
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Steph,

a quick Google search for +sort +insvirmem turns up a couple of articles. You may want to read the following article from Ask The Wizard:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_4523.html

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

often this sort of thing is due to higher resource requirements for processes in newer versions of VMS. The quotas for existing accounts are not changed during the upgrade. Some quotas are affectively forced upwards by the PQL_M system parameters but not all. I expect the relevent quota to be increased in this case is PGFLQUOTA. Check that the value is at least the same as the system paramter PQL_DPGFLQUOTA then increase from there.

There are various tools to monitor realtime process quota use including AMDS,Availability Manager and DCL procedures that use GETJPI

Steph,

As Bojan stated, try increasing PGFLQUOTA in SYSUAF.DAT. Maybe it can also be necessary to increase SYSGEN parameters PQL_MPGFLQUOTA & PQL_DPGFLQUOTA.

Regards,

Kris
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Guillou,

togethet with Bojans advice (which I agree with), you may also re-evalute the WSQUOTA params for your user accounts, maybe SYSGEN WSMAX as well.

If you don't, you will probably run into many more of those errors, not only on SORT but on a lot of functions, in all kinds of programs.

Moving from V6.x to V7.x (and even from V7.2 to V7.3) many functions are made 'to fit better' in today's bigger memory systems, and now make use of the possible performance gains to be reached at the price of being more liberal in memory use.
At current memory prices that makes sense!

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Guillou_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bojan,

Thanks for the quick reply, i increase that quota from 100000 to 250000, it seems to solve the problem...but i doesn't like applying a solution without really understanding the origin of a problem, can you explain me why i have this kind of behaviour on the new server?

Steph.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I think the from Jan covers why

ALL above on pagefilequota is true - but one thing should not be forgotten: the actual size of the pagefile.
I tend to think that if a process's pagefilequota would be exhausted, the message would be "Exceeded quota", not "Insuficient Virtual memory"; that would not really mean "You exhausted your quota" but merely "You exhausted the page file" - you would have no more empty, phyisical space available.
But I make be wrong here.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

unfourtunally the exceeded quota error message is not used for some quotas. If you actually fill the pagefill then the system usually hangs. If you are lucky there is a message on the console telling you the pagefile is nearly full.