New Discussion юеВ

Re: io autoconfigure and cluexit

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

io autoconfigure and cluexit

Hello all,

A two node cluster both on 7.3-2, one patched to update 15, the other to update 13.

If, at any time, I run sysman io autoconfigure on one particular server, the other server cluexits. If I run it on the latter, it has no effect on the former. See attached for the cluexit info.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening?

We have eliminated power, heat and network outages as the possible causes, albeit from the non-VMS side of things.

VMS gives out on the console:
%CNXMAN, Quorum lost, blocking activity
It then removes the other server's disks from the shadowset and does the following:
**** OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System V7.3-2 - BUGCHECK ****

** Bugcheck code = 000005DC: CLUEXIT, Node voluntarily exiting VMScluster
** Crash CPU: 00 Primary CPU: 00 Active CPUs: 00000001
** Current Process = NULL
** Current PSB ID = 00000001
** Image Name =

**** Starting compressed selective memory dump at 1-APR-2008 01:36...
** System space, key processes, and key global pages have been dumped.
** Now dumping remaining processes and global pages...
.Complete ****

Then it reboots and we continue on.

Regards,
Mark

13 REPLIES 13
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor
Solution

Just a wild guess, perhaps the AUTOCONFIGURE takes too long on the system and prevents it from sending the cluster hello messages. What is the value of RECNXINTERVAL and perhaps those other *INTERVAL parameters?

regards Kalle
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

There can be something in sys$manager:syconmfig.com that may be of influence. This is typically caused by a devicedriver staying way too long at elevated ipl.

Jur.
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Karl,

" Just a wild guess, perhaps the AUTOCONFIGURE takes too long on the system and prevents it from sending the cluster hello messages. What is the value of RECNXINTERVAL and perhaps those other *INTERVAL parameters?"

I have read a previous discourse: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1065647
which covers what you mention. Our RECNXINTERVAL is set to 20 seconds.

We have 2 absolutely independent means of cluster connectivity, so it was assumed (perhaps wrongly) that neither of these could fail under normal circumstances at the same time and/or for that period of time (20 seconds).

What other "*INTERVAL" parameters are you referring to? MSCP stuff?

Regards,
Mark.
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Jur,

" There can be something in sys$manager:syconmfig.com that may be of influence. This is typically caused by a devicedriver staying way too long at elevated ipl.
"

I'm confused. What does syconfig.com have to do with sysman's io autoconfigure?

Regards,
Mark.
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

I need to add some additional, rather freaky information.

For the last 6 days at 2 day intervals and at approximately 1:10am every morning, this same system CLUEXITs.

The other server, is at this time, coincidentally, beginning its tape backup.

MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Also forgot, the tape backup takes place every day on the other server. No other jobs run on a two-day interval that I can find.
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Jur,
Apologies, I was for some reason thinking of sylogicals, not syconfig. Sorry.

There is nothing in syconfig.

Regards,
Mark
MarkOfAus
Valued Contributor

Further investigation finds that a batch job runs all the time, called agen_batch (from the example given in section 14.6 of the System Manager's Manual.

Every second day, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday at 1am, it runs the following command:

@sys$update:autogen GETDATA TESTFILES feedback

When I run it manually, decnet connected from another machine:

SRS$USER:MARK> @sys$update:autogen GETDATA TESTFILES feedback
%AUTOGEN-I-BEGIN, GETDATA phase is beginning.
Running SYCONFIG.COM
End of SYCONFIG.COM
%REM-F-NETERR, DECnet channel error on remote terminal link
%REM-S-END, control returned to node LOCAL:.WOMBAT::
%SYSTEM-F-PATHLOST, path to network partner node lost

The connection froze, then dropped out. This would then, I presume, trigger the RECNXINTERVAL to be exceeded because the wait is far more than 20 seconds.

So it seems that something is askew on one server which is making even autogen lock it up.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Mark,

as a first and simple workaround, try to increase RECNXINTERVAL on both nodes to exceed the time the other node seems to 'hang' during AUTOGEN. You can calculate the time from the start of the AUTOGEN command (from batch .LOG file) until the crash time of the other node (from the crash). This should at least allow the node to survive a temporary loss of connection.

RECNXINTERVAL is a dynamic parameter, so you could even just increase it (cluster-wide) from the batch job running your semi-daily AUTOGEN procedure:

$ MC SYSMAN
SYSMAN> SET ENV/CLUS
SYSMAN> PARA USE ACTIVE
SYSMAN> PARA SET RECNXINTERVAL 180
SYSMAN> PARA WRITE ACTIVE
SYSMAN> EXIT

A node will consider connectivity to be lost when not receiving a cluster hello multicast-msg from any other node in the cluster for more than about 9 seconds. It will time out the other node and remove it from it's view of the cluster, if it has not received another hello message within RECNXINTERVAL seconds. If the node has been removed and then the next hello message will be received, the nodes in the cluster have to determine, which subset of nodes may survive. It the local node is not part of that subset, it will crash with a CLUEXIT and re-join the cluster during reboot.

To find out, what's happening during the AUTOGEN run, you may want to run PC tracing (see SDA> PCS) and find out, which code is running at high IPL for an extended amount of time. Or crash that node, while AUTOGEN is running, after the other node has reported 'Lost connection'.

Volker.