5041 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: limited to single set host/telnet

JoeBlock
Occasional Advisor

limited to single set host/telnet

Hi

I have TCP/IP services running and I can telnet or set host once, then I get the error message
no license is active for this software product, yet I seem to have enough UCX licenses.

I tried the opcom display logical with repl/lic but that shows no additional info

Wondering if anyone had an ideas.. thanks

Joe

Active licenses on node KRAGGG:

------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating ----- -- Version --
Product Producer Units Avail Activ Version Release Termination
ABS-NT-CLIENT-USER DEC 100 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
ABS-OMT DEC 0 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
BOOKBROWSER DEC 0 0 100 0.0 28-FEB-1999 (none)
COBOL DEC 100 100 0 0.0 (none) (none)
DCPS-OPEN DEC 1050 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)
DCPS-PLUS DEC 1050 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)
DECMIGRATE DEC 100 100 0 0.0 (none) (none)
DTR DEC 100 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
DVNETEND DEC 1050 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)
DW-MOTIF DEC 1050 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)
NTDS-DISK DEC 100 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
OPENVMS-ALPHA DEC 15 0 A 0.0 (none) (none)
PWLMXXXCA07.02 DEC 900 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
PWXXWINAT07.02 DEC 300 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
UCX DEC 1050 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)
VOLSHAD DEC 1050 H 0 0.0 (none) (none)

11 REPLIES 11
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Joe,

It would be helpful if the hardware environment was stated in the OP.

I suspect that it is not a question of TCP/IP, I would suspect that your problem would also happen using either LAT (SET HOST/LAT) or DECnet (SET HOST).

I would have to go into research that I do not have the time for at this instant, but a quick check leads me to ask if you are missing one of your licenses, perhaps OPENVMS-ADL (as I said, I do not have the time at this moment to dig through the OpenVMS SPD).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Hoff
Honored Contributor

You're missing your user license.

OPENVMS-ALPHA-USER

The Application Deployment License didn't allow logins, IIRC.

OPENVMS-ALPHA-ADL

Reading:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/31
JoeBlock
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the helpful info. We've been connecting multiple times using Excursion create/term/detach over Decnet, so I guess this user license only affects SET HOST and TELNET for some reason?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Joe,

the OPENVMS-ALPHA license is the base OpenVMS system license, it does not allow any logins , except on the OPA0: console.

Remote DECwindows terminals created with CREATE/TERM/DETACH do not accounts as interctive logins.

But if you try to login to that system using SET HOST, TELNET or SET HOST/LAT, you are creating an interactive login and for that, you need enough OPENVMS-ALPHA-USER license units loaded: 100 units per interactive job login.

Volker.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

From the cited document: "LMF: License Management Facility; LMF manages licenses. LMF is not considered a license enforcement facility, as LMF can and variously does allow operations which are not permitted by your software license."

Management. Not Enforcement. Read the SPD for details.

You're far enough back that you were allowed that login, likely under the guise of the "for system management purposes" section of the SPD. More recently, you can remotely manage the box and that one-login mechanism was removed from VMS and now no interactive logins are permitted without the user license.
JoeBlock
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the clear explanation. So if you are all still prepared to indulge me for a bit longer, is there a way to continue to use create/term/detach but over tcp/ip and not decnet?

Our issue is we're trying to switch the office network to tcp/ip instead of decnet but keep access to the AXP box the same

Thanks to everyone for the replies..
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Presuming the user license(s) aren't simply misplaced, call HP.

Buy the user license(s) necessary for your current usage and for your planned increased usage.

Done.
JoeBlock
Occasional Advisor

Sure, I was thinking telnet was the only way to go and if it is I have no problem getting licenses if we don't already have them. On the other hand if I could avoid the license config and just carry on doing what we are doing (i.e using Excursion, just over tcpip) that could be easier, perhaps?..

JoeBlock
Occasional Advisor

Just wanted to add there is no increased usage..