Operating System - OpenVMS
1753432 Members
4642 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

loosing registration codes because of automatic updates from HP

Kathrine S Bradley

loosing registration codes because of automatic updates from HP

I have lost most of my program functionality and registrations because of an HP autodownloaded BIOS update. Is there a way to restore this (I have tried to "restore to an earlier config")? I have to reload all these programs and since at least one of them changes the registry EVERY time it is loaded, I have been informed by the vendor I must pay a fee to get it unlocked. This is not supposed to happen unless some major change has occurred and I guess one has. I even have programs that don't have a so called registration number to enter fail to load properly. I must uninstall and reinstall about 16 programs! Does anyone have any suggestions?
Kathie
5 REPLIES 5
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: loosing registration codes because of automatic updates from HP

Kathie,

you are now in the VMS forum (the most stable and most secure OS in the world!).

Somehow your questions do not ring a bell at all, and I think you need to revert to another Forum.
I am at a loss however whether to advise on a Microsoft or a PeeCee one.

Anyway:

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Kathrine S Bradley

Apparently niether can MS or HP know either!
Kathie
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

It would help us if you could say what kind of computer you have this problem with.

This forum (and the other VMS forums) are for the OpenVMS operating system which runs on VAX, Alpha and Integrity hardware. It is the world's best and most stable operating system and the kind of problem you describe simply doesn't fit with our experience of the kinds of computers we are familiar with.

However, we're a helpful lot and if you can tell us what kind of system you have then we may be able to at least point you in a better direction.

Cheers, Colin.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Kathrine S Bradley

It is an HP Media Center m7060n. We just moved and I had no problems with this kind of thing before. This is a new computer to me. I have had a compact Presario and am typing on an HP Pavilion now. Obviously, I corrected some of the problem. BUT not all. I don't really know what forum I should be on for the answer to my question.
I had have Panda to protect my computers. I guess I don't know enough about computers to solve this on my own. I thought faithfully updating from HP and Microsoft would help avoid this kind of registration problem. I mean registry and registrations. Why would I have to keep reloading programs as mentioned before, and I thought HP and Microsoft would at least try to help me with this, but they keep passing me back and forth. If this it not the place to get the information I need, please direct me to the right forum.
Thanks, Kathie
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

parhaps here
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/familyhome.do?familyId=403
might be the best forum.