1752794 Members
7175 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ls command fails in sftp on OpenVMS 7.3-2 with Tcpip Services 5.3

Mike Chandler_4
Occasional Contributor

ls command fails in sftp on OpenVMS 7.3-2 with Tcpip Services 5.3

The ls command hangs using OpenVMS 7.3-2 with TCPIP services 5.3.
14 REPLIES 14
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Mike,

TCPIP V5.3 is fine.
Have you tried "ls" with 2

Could you please try "lls"?

Archunan

Regards
Archie
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Mike,

Ctrl/C and Ctrl/Y are working?
Regards
Archie
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Mike,

It may not be correct, but I remember studied somewhere else that SFTP, SSH, SCP commands have few problems using sys$input, sys$output and sys$error. when we direct the command output to any output files, there are unexpected characters here and there.

we can try $ assign x.dat sys$output, but t I am wondering why is it hanging?.
The "ls" is from intercative mode or in batch?

Regards
Archie
MIKE_518
Occasional Advisor

Here is my predicament. I have one DS10 Alpha System tcpip version 5.5 that was setup by an outside vendor. It is able to utilize sftp and scp without problems. I have another DS10 system with tcpip version 5.3. It came to us already configured. I can ssh to a UNIX system without problems. But when I use sftp and perform an ls command the command prompt locks up. I cannot use Ctrl-C or Ctrl-y. I have to kill the session and log in again. I've compared the ssh config files between the two boxes and they are the same. The only difference I'm aware of is the tcpip versions. (the same thing happens connecting to linux sftp.)
MIKE_518
Occasional Advisor

A little more information here is that if I connect using sftp I can perform an lls, lcd, and cd command with no problem. If I perform a ls command I get the output but the command prompt never comes back. The same happens with the put command.
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Mike,

This link (TCPIP V5.4 release notes) talks about the limitations of SFTP and SCP for TCPIP version 5.4.

================================
It link says like.....

1. Using the scp and sftp commands from an OpenVMS SSH client to a UNIX server running OpenSSH is not fully supported because certain operations cause the OpenVMS client to hang. The hang cannot be terminated by entering Ctrl/C and Ctrl/Y >

2. Using the SCP and SFTP commands from a non-OpenVMS client may have unpredictable results, depending on how the client formats the target file name and whether the client is SSH2 compatible.

3. On OpenVMS, setting the ForcePTTYAllocation keyword to YES in the
SSH2_CONFIG. file can result in failures when performing file copy operations. (In other implementations of SSH, setting the keyword ForcePTTYAllocation to YES in the SSH2_CONFIG. file has the same effect as using the -t option to the SSH command.)
=============================

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/DOCUMENTATION/PDF/TCPIP054_RELNOTES.PDF

As you said the same ls is working fine with your TCPIP V5.5, and not working in TCPIP V5.3, may this be because of the TCPIP version 5.3?

Archunan

Regards
Archie
MIKE_518
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to pursue getting an upgrade for TCPIP.
MIKE_518
Occasional Advisor

One more question and I'll be done. I have another system running tcpip version 5.4 and it exhibits the same problem with sftp. I have another system that works fine with scp and sftp and it uses tcpip version 4.5 EC0 5. How do I upgrade to EC0 5? Is that a download?
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Mike,

Go to our HP patch maindb, and search your patch.

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/mainPage.do?

On this choose --->
-->OpenVMS --> Alpha --> V3.2 --> enter search string (DEC-AXPVMS-TCPIP_ECO-V0504-155-4)

you will see the list of patches, but go to last page (total 3 pages), you can find your required patch).

Archunan
Regards
Archie