Operating System - OpenVMS
1753523 Members
8448 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mails from VMS to exchange server not going.

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

ucx show mx ?

Can you at teast try to fill the mail server info ? Wouldn't be the first time config data is lost.

Wim
Wim
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

shiva27:
I checked with Mail server team they said "At there end VTM patching and server relocation has been done in weekend "

Which is rather irrelevant, since You showed us the TCPIP SMTP configuration does not use a gateway.
If You have an SMTP server/gateway in the organization, then use it, define it as gateway for VMS SMTP as Wim suggested, and see what happens.
Then If the mail sending again fails with a DNS error, then it is a general problem in Your organization, not VMS specific.

But of course the underlying DNS problem is another issue to be resolved, and should be checked first.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
shiva27
Frequent Advisor

Joseph,

Right from begining we've not define gateway. So do you thing if i define the gateway this issue will resolve.

SMTP Configuration
Options
Initial interval: 0 00:30:00.00 Address_max: 16 NOEIGHT_BIT
Retry interval: 0 01:00:00.00 Hop_count_max: 16 NORELAY
Maximum interval: 3 00:00:00.00 TOP_HEADERS

Timeout Initial Mail Receipt Data Terminate
Send: 5 5 5 3 10
Receive: 5

Alternate gateway: not defined
General gateway: not defined

Substitute domain: not defined
Zone: not defined

Postmaster: TCPIP$SMTP
Log file: SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$SMTP]TCPIP$SMTP_LOGFILE.LOG

Generic queue Queues Participating nodes

TCPIP$SMTP_LONDON_00 1 LONDON
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

TRY IT PLEASE !!!

Wim
Wim
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

As Wim said, try it, i.e. set the mail gateway to the mail server node (the one managed by the mentioned mail server team).
At least it will show if the DNS problem is local to the VMS system or also present in wider local net.

Read the help in TCPIP:
"help set config smtp".
and in particular the /GATEWAY and /ZONE, and /SUBSTUTE_DOMAIN options.

I don't know what the policy in Your organization is for mail, in mine it is simply not possible to send smtp mail to the outside directly by an individual node, and mail can only be received/addressed to the mail domain, not an individual node inside the domain.

How does the VMS system RECEIVE mail ? Also directly addressed, or through the incoming mail server ?

But even if the mail via gateway will work, there might still be the original DNS (bind resolver) problem.
If the mail destination citi.com in Your first posting was not just an example, then try if "TCPIP SHOW HOST citi.com" is resolved. It should return the address of citibank.com if the bind resolver is working correctly.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber