New Discussion юеВ

make changes in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM without starting the system

SOLVED
Go to solution
smg_atlas
Frequent Advisor

make changes in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM without starting the system

Hi

I am a unix/linux guy and have no exp working on OpenVMS 7.1.
When I run sh dev d:
I can notice that one of the disk is filling up.
As there are few database files getting copied to this disk with extension .rbf.

$1$DUA7: (HSD30) Mounted 0 DATDSK2 102357 1 2

Currently I have another disk:
$1$DUA1801: (HSD30) Mounted 0 DATDSK1
22352575 1 2

I was planning to point the backup to DATDSK1.

After going through the config.dvax01 file I got a clue about startup_vms.com file.

In that file I can see
$ define/system/exec rdb_backup_dir datdsk2:[rdb_backup]

which gives me a clue that by replacing datdsk2 with datdsk1 I can solve the problem.
But my next challenge is that I dont want to restart the system.
Is there any way I can make change to the startup_vms.com and execute without rebooting the system?

Any help much appreciated.
If I am wrong pls correct me or give me suggestions.

13 REPLIES 13
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Re: make changes in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM without starting the system

You can make that change to the startup_vms.com file, then enter the command interactively to have it take effect immediately. There is no need to restart the system.
smg_atlas
Frequent Advisor

so it means that I will have to create a directory in datdsk2 to be called rdb_backup or by just replacing datdsk2 with datdsk1 it will automatically create the directory rdb_backup if it doesn't exist.

$ define/system/exec rdb_backup_dir datdsk2:[rdb_backup]

Pls explain.

regrds,
smg_atlas
Frequent Advisor

sorry I mean I need to create directory in datdsk1 same as datdsk2.

regards
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM is a part of the system startup processing that is reserved to you and to your local applications; to the system manager. It functions analogous to the init/rc scripts or launchd, and each of these allow you to invoke various tasks and operations when the system bootstraps.

To perform the changes "hot" (and avoid having to reboot the box), you can invoke the same commands that you would enter into SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.

To create the logical name -- the logical name will likely be a completely foreign concept to you, as it has characteristics of an environment variable and some rather significant differences -- you can invoke the following two DCL commands:

$ set process/priv=(cmexec,sysnam)
$ define/system/executive -
rdb_backup_dir datdsk2:[rdb_backup]

You need only create the directories once, and not each time the system bootstraps.

The OpenVMS FAQ has a section "DCL Symbols and OpenVMS Logical Names?", which introduces the concepts:

http://64.223.189.234/node/1

For some info on wrinkles with symbols and logical names (and how logical names tie into the I/O stack), see topics including the following:

http://64.223.189.234/node/487
http://64.223.189.234/node/357

The HP OpenVMS manuals are at:

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc

And the User's Guide and the System Manager's Manuals would be the usual starting point for most folks starting out learning about OpenVMS and OpenVMS system management.

Whether or not the directories are created automatically is something you'll have to look into locally. This is determined by the local applications. Some applications will create these, though most won't. I'd tend to assume not, and would create them.

You'll also want to set the ownership appropriately for what is writing into the directory. CREATE/DIRECTORY/OWNER=[uic] ... or SET DIRECTORY/OWNER=[uic] ... These DCL commands are analogous to chown, and SET PROTECTION is similar to chmod.

If you are not comfortable with DCL and with this environment, I'd encourage getting help from somebody that does, or getting access to a system to experiment with. This only because errors in the site-specific portion of the system startup can cause problems rather distant from when the change was made.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
smg_atlas
Frequent Advisor

Hi Stephen Hoffman

Thanks very much for some explanation.

I was just curious about the two commands you gave me.
rdb_backup_dir datdsk2:[rdb_backup]

besides changing the startup_vms.com file for datdsk2 to datdsk1.
I will make sure that I create a directory in datdsk1 as the same as datdsk2 RIGHT!
This startup_vms.com will only be effective once the system reboots RIGHT!
By also typing the two commands you gave me the backup should work on datdsk1 but what is the command :
used for?
Pls explain to me.

Regards,
Hoff
Honored Contributor

// besides changing the startup_vms.com file for datdsk2 to datdsk1.
I will make sure that I create a directory in datdsk1 as the same as datdsk2 RIGHT! //

If your processing requires the directories, then create them. Do ensure the ownership and protection is set appropriately, as mentioned earlier.

// This startup_vms.com will only be effective once the system reboots RIGHT! //

What commands are included in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM are invoked when the system boots. Again, akin to /init/rc scripts or other similar startup procedures from other platforms. All platforms have some analogous mechanism.

// By also typing the two commands you gave me the backup should work on datdsk1 but what is the command :
used for? //

It's akin to sudo and to typical root access. Privileges are a more finely-grained version of root access. Specific privileges grant access to specific areas and functions within OpenVMS.

See HELP SET PROCESS /PRIVILEGE, as a start.

The SET PROCESS /PRIVILEGE command enables the two specific privileges needed for the specified DEFINE command referenced. (SYSTARTUP_VMS is invoked with these and other privileges enabled.) Your username may or may not have these privileges; if the access to privileges is lacking within the current process and the SET PROCESS /PRIVILEGE fails to enable the privileges, you'll have to use a (more) privileged username to enable the privileges. This akin having the login listed in sudoers, for instance.

If you're working in this area and coming up to speed on OpenVMS, I'd suggest some time in the manuals, and an occasional look at the HELP library as needed. The HP OpenVMS manuals are here:

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc/

The OpenVMS User's Guide and the System Manager's Manuals would be the usual starting point for folks seeking to learn more about OpenVMS and about OpenVMS system management.
smg_atlas
Frequent Advisor

Hi Stephen Hoffman

I am working as user: system
I have already created the directory in datdsk1:[rdb_backup].
But when I do dir datdsk2:/rdb_backup] I can see the permissions on the files in rdb-backup directory.
How to check permissions on the directory?

regards,
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

No offense meant, but you really need to do some reading and understanding what you are reading before you start making changes.

If a nine year old asked you the following, how would you answer?

"I found this pistol and a box of cartriges in a my Dad's closet. I think the bullets go in this round thing that spins around. I put 6 cartriges in it. Then I pull back on this thing at the rear, but it seems stuck there now. I don't want my dad to know I've been messing with his stuff. How can I get this to go back where it was?"
it depends
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

"I am working as user: system"

Then be extra careful.

"I have already created the directory in datdsk1:[rdb_backup]."

Without knowing what command you used, the protection and ownership of that directory may not be what it should be.

"But when I do dir datdsk2:/rdb_backup] I can see the permissions on the files in rdb-backup directory.
How to check permissions on the directory?"

Directories are special files in VMS that have a type (extension) and version ".DIR;1".

The root directory of a device on VMS is called the MFD (master file directory), and it is in a special directory that contains itself. [000000]00000.DIR

To see the protection of the datdsk2:[rdb_backup]
directory, use the following command:

$ directory/security datdsk2:[000000]rdb_backup.dir

To set the protection and ownership of the directory you created to the same as the datdsk2:[000000]rdb_backup.dir directory, use the command:

$ SET SECURITY/LIKE=NAME=source_filename destination_filename /COPY=ALL

In your case:

$ SET SECURITY/LIKE=NAME=datdsk2:[000000]rdb_backup.dir;1 datdsk1:[000000]rdb_backup.dir;1 /COPY=ALL

For information about the set security command, see the output from

$ help set security

Now some other things you need to think about. What is going to happen to the files that are in the datdsk2:[rdb_backup] directory? Were you planning to move them to datdsk1? If you do that will the problem just move? What about things that go looking for things using the logical name rdb_backup_dir, which if you change it is now pointing to a totally different directory that (unless you make a copy of the files) won't have the original files.

One way to avoid that problem is to use what VMS calls a search list; a logical name that has a list of values. It is a bit like what a path environment variable does for executable files on unix, but it is more general.

For example, you could use the following definition of rdb_backup_dir to tell VMS that when it does a file lookup using the file specification rdb_backup_dir:abc.rbf, to first look in the new location, and if the abc.rbf file was not found there, to look in the original location. New files would normally be created in the first element of the list, but some software (for example editors) will create a new version a file in the same directory as it was found.

rdb_backup_dir -
datdsk1:[rdb_backup], - ! new files will go here
datdsk2:[rdb_backup] ! old files will be found here

This definition has less chance of breaking existing things than a single valued logical name definition that references only the new location.

And if you have a cluster, the logical name must be defined on each node.

Please, take some time to read some of the stuff that Hoff referenced, it will be time well spent.

Good luck,

Jon
it depends